Chapter 20

Penny

Lucy is messing with me, and it's not good. It's really not good. My mum was really mad, and I'm really bad.
I need to go home. I need some bubbles, and my head still hurts. I'm hungry but I don't want to eat any of Mickey's food - it's his passion in life, he says.
Fuck.
I smile mischievously and Lucy gives me a confused look. She doesn't know I've taken to swearing in my head, like an adult. I am an adult now, I guess.
The thing is, I don't feel like one. I haven't really felt much at all since Johnny was taken and mum started cleaning all the time. It could be OCD. Maybe she thinks it will make Johnny come back and Dad start loving her again and me resume writing her name with a capital 'M', for "Mum". I don't want to, I don't consider it her name. She's Helen Gold - the woman on the street that the neighbours avoid.
My Dad is Neil Gold, the man on the street that the neighbours always ask over for coffee. They feel sorry for him.
There's a distinct buzz in my shorts pocket.
13:34 Message received: "ayo. its anna."
13:36 Message sent: "Hi."
13:40 Message sent: "How are you?"
13:43 Message received: "dope. are u free today?"
"Lucy?"
"Mm?"
"Am I free today?"
"Well, are you straight?"
"....yeah."
"Then I won't be taking up your time. Yes, you are."
13:45 Message sent: "I am."
13:45 Message received: "marvelous. would u like to go to a cafe or somethin?"
Two l's in marvellous.
I chew my lip, and Lucy grins.
"You look hot when you do that, Penny."
I stick my tongue out at her.
"Ooh, even better!"
"Go away!"
13:47 Message received: "pen?"
"Stop distracting me, Lucy. I'm trying to talk to someone."
She chuckles and leans towards me, eyebrows raised. "Your boyfriend?"
"Ew, no. I mean... Uh... Guys are sexy."
Talking such garbage makes me feel like I have a bad taste in my mouth. I frown.
Lucy bursts out laughing, slapping her thigh theatrically. "Christ, sweetheart, you couldn't get into a film shoot even if you slept with the director!"
She stops suddenly, her face transforming into a look of thoughtfulness. "In fact, maybe you would. I mean-"
I chuck a cushion at her.
13:53 Message sent: "Sorry, Lucy was being... Lucy."
13:54 Message received: "i c. so where do u wanna go?"
13:54 Message sent: "Jack's?"
13:56 Message received: "k. how about 2.30?"
13:57: Message sent: "Sure. :)"
I look up, satisfied with the arrangement. Lucy is facing away from me with her arms folded and her face in a pout. She's sweet.
"I'm meeting Anna at half two."
She doesn't say anything.
"Can you give me a ride?"
Still nothing.
"Aw, come on. Are you ignoring me?"
Her face twitches as she turns her head away.
I shift over on the sofa, getting onto my knees. I poke her shoulder.
"Don't touch me! You attacked me with a piece of furniture, Penny! It's assault, I tell you!"
There's a hint of laughter in her tone.
"I'm sorry. I'm bad." I sniffle.
Her posture softens slightly. I grab her and jump on top of her, taking the chance.
She squirms, but I have the advantage. Ending up securely straddling her, I grab her face in my hands.
"Please give me a lift."
Lucy reddens dramatically and tries to avoid eye contact.
"Please?"
"Fine, but get off me before I show you how not-straight you are."
I sit back, letting go of her face and looking quizzically at her. "How would you do that?"
"By kissing you and giving you great enjoyment."
She smirks and I leap away, tumbling onto the floor.
"I - I'm... I... Wouldn't! I'd... hate it! Lucy!"
Shrugging, she stands up and towers over me.
"You wouldn't, honey."
I open my mouth and nothing comes out.

We're pulling up to Jack's and I don't want to let go of Lucy's waist. I don't want to go into the cafe. I don't want to eat. Maybe I could get away with just drinking something... No, Anna has those I-care-about-you eyes.
"Penny. You can hop off now."
"No."
"What's wrong?"
I consider. "Nothing. See you."
I can tell she knows I'm lying, but she lets it go anyway.
"Alright. Think straight, babe!"
The biker in the scuffed hoodie and jeans accelerates from the kerb before I can complain at the nickname.

Jack's Cafe is quite small, but homely and not very crowded. Shiny metal tables and chairs are outside, glinting in the sunlight, reflecting off of the display window. Baked goods are lined up in rows inside. The waitresses are pretty and polite, with white teeth. I have white teeth because I hate sugar and avoid it like the plague.
"Pen, have you had a shower since yesterday? You're covered in sand and your clothes are allover the place."
Anna appears out of thin air and links her arm in mine.
"No. I didn't ask Lucy if I could use her shower."
She stops suddenly and turns to look at me, hair blowing in the breeze. "You went home with her? Are you guys like, a thing?"
"No!"
"You totally are!"
"I totally am telling the truth."
Anna shakes her head. "Lies. Lies, I tell you."

The waitress has taken our order. I am fiddling with a packet of brown sugar and wondering how many calories will be in the salad dressing. Anna is doodling on her napkin.
I like her. She looks nice, and she is nice. Mum wouldn't like her, because she's really racist. It's sad; she doesn't understand that your appearance or your label isn't your entire personality. Mickey is a mechanic, I think, but that doesn't mean he plays with spanners all day - Dad is a part-time janitor, but he hardly ever cleans at home. Mainly because the house is spotless every day of the week.
I like Anna's coffee skin and her curly hair and her dark eyes. Her smile is warm.
"Is there any particular reason why you're examining me?" She's smiling at me now.
"You're pretty."
"Oh. Uh... Thanks."
Clearly, people don't tell her that often.
The waitress is back again, with Anna's burger and my salad-with-the-unknown-amount-of-calories. It's freaking me out but I'm trying to ignore it. I spear a leaf with my fork, and twist it around.
"You have really skinny arms, Penny."
I'm shocked by her statement. She thinks I lie? Can't she see the fat on my arms?
"No I don't."
"You do! Here, look at mine."
Anna stretches her arm across the table, comparing it. They look roughly the same size to me, but that can't be right.
"See? Yours are like an entire inch less in diameter."
"Are they?"
"...yeah."
"Oh."
I blink. Is she making this up, or...? Dad's always saying I need 'fattening up', which honestly gives me nightmares. Mum stopped nagging me about my diet as much - but she doesn't think I'm unhealthy.
I'm not, am I?