Chapter 19

Lucy

She's been gone for ten minutes. I haven't heard a word.
Mickey left to go to work.
I hope everything's alright.

I plop onto the sofa and curl my legs under myself. The apartment is a little chilly.
Tugging my jumper over my head, I shiver and contemplate.
Before I can start thinking about Penny, the general topic of questions throws up something else; do aliens exist? Of course they do! I don't understand how anyone can know about the entirety of space, and determine that we are alone. It's almost impossible that there are no other life forms. Look at our planet - water, air, sunlight - there could be other planets out there that have entirely different necessities for their organisms to survive. Their organisms might not even breathe, or sleep... I don't believe in much, but -
Cold fingertips pull my jumper from my face, and trace across my cheekbone.
I blink in the light. Penny is standing in front of me, looking depressed.
I go to say something, but she moves her hand lower and strokes her thumb across my lips.
This simple movement has me swallowing and trying to fight a blush.
"Lucy, I... We're just friends," she pulls her hand away and shoves it in her hoodie pocket. "I'm straight. I have to be straight. We can't kiss, okay?"
I pout, and raise an eyebrow. "Did your mum put you up to this?"
"Um... N-no. I-I'm doing it... On my own. Straight. Stop looking at me like that. I have to go home tonight. I was grounded anyway."
Lightbulb moment. "Are you eighteen yet, Penny?"
She steps back from me. "Maybe. I don't know. I think so."
The frown melts from my features immediately, and I relax. "You're an adult, babe. Do whatever you want."
Penny dons an offended expression. "Don't call me that."
Standing up, I go over to her. I lean my chin on my palm and make what I hope is a cute face. "Why?"
Blinking, she creates distance between us again. She takes her hands out of her pockets and fiddles with her fingers, avoiding eye contact and looking flustered. "I'm not a baby."
I laugh. "You're a baby to me, Penny. I'm older than you."
She folds her arms and glares at the floor. "So?"
Smirking, I get an idea. Mickey is a bad influence. "If you weren't a baby, could I do this?"
Without warning, I bend and grab her under her thighs, hoisting her up over my shoulder.
She wriggles around, protesting. "Go away, Lucy! Put me down!"
"I don't think so."
"This isn't fair! You're stronger!"
"Do you even lift, babe?"
Penny growls like a tiger cub, and it's surprisingly hot.
I pat the back of her legs and decide I want some tea.
So I turn around - keeping her over my shoulder as she complains - and head to the kitchen.

"Do you work out, Lucy?"
I twist the tap on with my free hand, and reach for the kettle.
"Sometimes. When I can be arsed. What makes you ask?"
She stops struggling and relaxes against me. "You can lift Penelope Gold."
I snort, ducking the kettle under the flow of water. "You think you're fat or something?"
She's quiet for a moment, and then chooses not to answer.
"You have nice legs. Muscle legs."
I click the kettle on to heat, turn the tap back off and smirk. "Muscle legs, Penny?"
She stiffens. "Yeah. And you have a nicer butt than me."
I bite my lip, and clear my throat.
"I shouldn't have given you such a good angle to check it out from," - I tug her off and place her on the counter - "I mean, you are straight and all. Wouldn't want my sexy body to go around confusing you."
Penny's face colours a deep shade of scarlet as she tries to look at anything but me.
The kettle switch flicks upwards, steam pouring from the spout.
Raising my eyebrows, I grab a mug and grin to myself.
This was going to be hilarious.