Chapter 15

Penny

Lucy's lips are at my ear and I don't know where to look or what to think.
Ozzie is watching me with a grin.
She brushes my hair away and whispers something.
"Is he gay?"
A shiver rushes down my spine and my nose seems to wrinkle subconsciously.
"Who?"
"Ozzie."
"Uh... very."
I decide she must have a logical reason for her question, so I don't ask.
Then Anna arrives, tugging a grumpy-looking Alice behind her. I didn't know they were friends. I didn't know Alice talked to anyone besides swearing at teachers.
Lucy weaves her hand into mine and I clench it, unthinking.
"What's up, losers? I hope you don't mind that I brought Alice. I needed to distract her from spray-painting someone's front wall." Anna smirks mischievously, reaching behind her to push Alice forward.
She growls and crosses her arms, refusing to say anything.
Ozzie shrugs. "Alright fam, let's go. We're gonna light a fire, maybe go for a walk or something."
"Yay, exercise!" Reuben pumps the air with a sarcastic fist.
"Sex doesn't count as a sport, and you're putting on weight." Ozzie shoves his shoulder before scampering off, initiating a fierce chasing game.
Lucy whistles. "Fucking savage."
Alice kicks the sand with an angry Doc Marten. "How is this better than getting revenge on the dickhead who insulted my honour?"
"Dude, it was a little old lady and all she did was say 'excuse me'." Anna laughs.
"Exactly, fucking rude. You shoulda seen the look in her eyes!"
"Whatever. Let's build the fire."
Anna tugs a reluctant Alice along by her wrist, leaving Lucy and I alone.
I shuffle a little away from her, uncomfortable with the proximity.
As I lift my chin to look out at the sea, I know she's smiling at something. I can see her in the corner of my eye.
"What?" I ask, growing indignant.
She shakes her head, biting back a laugh.
"What is it?"
"Your face, Penny. It's like... Super red."
I flip up the hood of my jumper and start half-jogging away from her. Before I've even got a few feet away, I feel her slam into my back, curling her arms around me.
I trip over, my hood crumpling back again, and end up on my tummy.
She sits in a triumphant position just behind my shoulder blades.
I lean my cheek on my arm, blinking sand out of my eyelashes.
"One does not simply run away from Lucinda Hale!" Lucy chuckles manically, leaning forward. Her palms press into the ground on either side of my head.
"I wasn't ready. Hale, as in like, the lock company? I like locks, they make me feel safe, and they..." I trail off, focusing on the patterns of the skin on her hand.
"It's Yale, Penny. And they...?"
"Keep police out."
"Police have axes, honey."
"Marmite!"
"Fucking marmalade, whatever."
She shifts her weight, and suddenly I can feel her body a lot more. I kick my legs helplessly, trying to escape from this feeling that mum won't let me have. She sits up, giggling.
"Lucy..."
"Mm?"
"Can you get off me now?"
"I don't know... I really like this, you're warm."
There's the delicate vibration of her laughter.
"You're warm, too. But I... your body, it's..." I bite my lip.
She's quiet for a while, dismissing my question. I know she's amused at something though.
"Did you ever get the sex talk, Penny?"
"Of course. And I don't like that word, you know that."
"Did anyone ever teach you how girls have sex?"
I face-palm, getting sand allover my forehead. Yes, they have, sort of. I have walked in on Greg when he wasn't expecting it, and the cracked computer screen was alive the with bright imagery of naked people.
I don't answer, hoping she takes the hint not to press it.
I want some bubbles.
Lucy doesn't take the hint.
"Well, they get really close together..." She leans forward, until I can feel her chest pressing against my back.
She breathes in my ear, sending shivers across my skin again. "And then..."
Suddenly the weight on my back is gone and there's a chorus of laughter.
"Jesus, guys! This is a beach party, not a porno!" I roll over to see Ozzie, panting and rolling up the sleeves of his shirt.
Lucy's being held back by her shoulder. She has a look in her eyes, and she's licking her bottom lip.
"Poor Penny looks like she's seen a ghost." Reuben chuckles.
"Fucking 'beach party'? What is this, 2004?" Alice grumbles.

It's about ten o'clock now, I think. We're sitting on a rough circle of jumpers and jackets, surrounding the crackling tongues of fire. Ozzie and Reuben have shown us their orange skin trick, we've messed around in the sea a little, drank and bantered. They ate, I didn't.
Alice is making small talk with Lucy, about her bike.
She nods her head in its direction. "Clearly, it's a Harley. What make?"
"CVO Softail Convertible. I got it for my eighteenth birthday."
Lucy sounds uninterested, and I feel like telling her she should appreciate Alice actually being civil.
"Right, well, I gotta head home. School tomorrow - I think? I don't even know what day it is, man." Ozzie is slurring slightly, a lopsided grin stretched across his face.
Reuben bumps against his side, and winks. "Can I come?"
Ozzie flicks his hair like a diva. "Oh, alright, you beast!"
They chase each other up to the street, disappearing into a faded old jeep and sending the echo of slamming doors across the beach. The lights flick on, the engine starts up and the vehicle speeds down the sleepy road.
Anna coughs. "I did not need that image."
"Neither." Alice swings a glass bottle upwards, downing the last quarter of liquid. The frown has mostly melted from her face, and she has a sort of half-smile.
"It's Friday." Lucy mutters. She's rolling the ring of a can round in her fingers, narrowly missing the sharp point.
I pick it out of her palm and flick it away. She sticks out her bottom lip.
I see two of her.
Lucy gives me a questioning look.
"What'd you do that for?"
"Dangerous sharp edges, sweetheart."
Lucy gives me a funny expression. I realise I've never called her a nickname like that before.
I think there's alcohol in some of these drinks.
Am I drunk?