Chapter 4 - Illusions

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. 

- Margaret Mead

The next morning Leah lay on her surfboard, drifting with the ocean currents. She hadn't been able to sleep last night. Her mind had been invaded by infuriating smirks and threats, and she'd hoped the ocean would ease their clarity.

Unfortunately, it hadn't.

Jared still stood on her eyelids, promising with each blink that the police would come soon.

Paddling hands broke though Leah's reverie and she sat up, looking around in surprise. No one ever came out this deep.

Her heart dropped when she spotted Arelie paddling towards her, pushing her board through the breakers. For a moment, Leah considered slipping into the ocean, disappearing below the surface and letting herself be dragged to the whirlpools.

It would solve a lot of her problems. It would also probably create a couple more.

"Where have you been all weekend?" Arelie asked when she finally reached her.

Leah scowled at the demanding tone and suppressed the urge to snap back. "Around."

Arelie frowned and glanced about nervously, paddling against the current, and Leah bit back a smirk. For all her bravado, Arelie was as scared of the whirlpools as everyone else.

"We need to talk about the other night," Arelie said.

Leah lay back and draped an arm over her eyes to shield the sun's glare. "Okay, let's talk."

Confusion dominated Arelie's face and Leah felt a fierce satisfaction. Normally, their roles were reversed; Arelie would be calm while Leah confirmed details. But this time there wasn't any point — you couldn't scramble for a ledge you'd already been pushed off.

"Why'd you trash the principal's office?" Arelie asked.

Leah forced her posture to remain relaxed, but the question sent her blood pumping. "What do you mean?"

"They announced this morning that the fire was intentional. They said the principal's office was too bashed up to be from the fire alone."

"You didn't think they'd realise it was intentional from the bottles of petrol you left lying around?" Leah asked dryly.

Arelie just looked at her. "Answer the question, Azemar. Why'd you do it?"

Leah shrugged, falling into that casual indifference she'd spent years perfecting. "Just for a bit of fun. It's no big deal."

"Is that why you took so long?"

"Not that it's any of your business, but yes."

"How is it not my business?" Arelie asked, her voice rising. "You can't just keep stuff like that to yourself! You're not the only one that'll get blamed."

Leah sat up, fixing Arelie with an icy glare. "Remind me, how much petrol did you hide in the school again?"

Arelie shifted uncomfortably, her eyes flicking between Leah and the water.

"Considering there were a few explosions, it was definitely more than one bottle," Leah continued. "Funny you didn't mention that to me."

Arelie's cheeks flooded red, but her mouth curled into a sneer. "I told you to get out of there once you lit the fire. It's not my fault you decided to hang around."

Leah stared at Arelie coldly, watching her sneer falter. When it came down to it, Arelie was no different from anyone else here. She was just as easy to scare and push away. And Leah'd had enough of her recklessness — of her pointless rebellions and cries for attention.