Chapter 33 - Danny's Death

Guilt is probably the most painful companion of death.

- Coco Channel

Walking through the bush with Danny at her side felt like a fairytale. The trees were ghostly in the beam of their flashlights and the dirt that kicked up beneath their feet hung suspended, glimmering in the air. It was ethereal and bittersweet, and Leah felt consumed by the surreality of it all.

But she could feel the seconds ticking down too. Cassandra was setting a brisk pace down the cliffs, and Leah knew that soon she'd leave this world behind, and Danny with it.

It sent a desperate energy through her, one that demanded she get answers before their time ran out. And yet, every word that rose to her lips halted before escaping. She'd come to the sudden realisation that she didn't know what to say to Danny. He knew everything about her. Everything she didn't. Where were you meant to start in that situation?

"Leah?"

She glanced over as Danny's voice broke through her thoughts and found him watching her.

"How much do you, um..." Danny scratched the back of his head, glancing away from her. "Cassandra said you don't remember much. So, I was just wondering... Do you really remember me?"

His uncertainty was such a stark contrast to all her memories of him that Leah wanted to cry.

"Yes," she said quickly. "Of course. Not everything, but I have pieces. And I remember Seth. I dreamt about both of you every night."

Danny sighed and smiled crookedly. She could see the relief in his eyes, and she'd never been so thankful that this world hadn't obliterated everything.

"But I don't remember much else," she admitted. "I remember what our parents look like, but nothing about them. And I've been told other things by Cassandra and Jared. I know about the S.I.S and the rebels. I know I'm here because Brenton wants the Mors Mortis Device."

Danny's eyes were dark as he watched her, the night draining their colour. "Is that all? You can't remember anything else?"

Leah shook her head.

Danny nodded and rubbed his jaw. "It's more than I hoped for. Cass made it sound like..."

He trailed off again, glancing away from her.

"I'm sorry," Leah said, watching him. "I've tried to remember, I really have, but I —"

"You're sorry?"

Danny's interruption came so abruptly that Leah jumped and Cassandra's torch swung back towards them.

"What do you mean you're sorry?"

Leah came to a stop and her torch lit upon an intense anguish in Danny's eyes that made her shrink back.

"This is my fault," Danny said. "Not yours. I was meant to protect you. You're here because of me!"

Leah stared at him, shocked. "What are you talking about?"

"That night on the bridge! That's where you got caught, wasn't it?"

"I — I don't — All I can remember from the bridge was you..." Leah's voice faded away.

"Me dying?" Danny asked.

"Yeah," Leah said awkwardly. "I have dreams about it."

Danny groaned and turned away, jerking forward again to follow Cassandra's quickly fading figure.