Chapter 23 - Something Dangerous

I like jealous men. I love jealousy. I do. 

- Adriana Lima 

"Wha... What did you –"

Jared rolled his eyes and grabbed her arm, pulling her up from where she'd fallen. The movement was unnecessarily forceful and Leah found herself flung against him, crashing into his chest as he wrapped an arm around her and started moving them to the opposite side of the roof.

Her thoughts were speeding, all messages lost to white noise as they smashed to pieces in the crowded space between her ears.

Jared had nearly pulled her to the other side of the roof when she raised a hand to her face and saw it come away spotted with blood. Matt's blood. The sight made everything fall into place and she wrenched away from Jared, staring at him in shock.

"What did you just do?"

Jared's shoulders tensed as he turned to face her. The town was outlined in twinkling lights behind him, but even their glow couldn't dull the dangerous glint in his eyes.

"What did I do?" he hissed. "What were you thinking coming up here with him?"

"Why does that matter?" Leah exclaimed. "You didn't need to shoot him!"

Jared took a threatening step forward. "I heard what he was saying. If you think that he, or this friend of his, had innocent intentions, then you're an idiot. You know what'll happen if the wrong people get their hands on you."

"He wouldn't have been able to force me to go with him! You know I'm stronger than anyone else down here."

"He didn't need to force you," Jared snapped. "Not with you looking up at him with those bloody puppy dog eyes."

Leah's sight blurred with anger. "I wasn't looking at him with puppy dog eyes. I was just happy to be around someone that wasn't you!"

Jared stalked forward, only stopping when his face was inches away. Angry breaths fell into her mouth as he spoke. "If this was some pathetic attempt to get me back for spending the night with Ash —"

Leah slammed her hands into his chest, hoping to gain some ground, but Jared only seemed to come closer. His proximity was disorienting, igniting anger and confusion simultaneously.

"This has nothing to do with Ash! It has to do with you going around killing people for no reason."

"For the last time," Jared said, eyes flashing. "Everyone here is already dead. I didn't kill him."

"YOU MAY AS WELL HAVE!" Leah screamed.

Jared rocked back, his chest rising and falling quickly. "I don't know why you care. You couldn't have actually been into the lanky prick."

His voice was coated with an emotion that made Leah hesitate. The anger was still there, but there was something else hovering in the corners.

"That doesn't matter," Leah said. "You can't just –"

"He was just going to sell you to the highest bidder. You realise that, don't you?"

Leah glared at him. "Not everyone here has hidden agendas and dark secrets like you do."

"No, they don't," Jared admitted, taking another step and consequently forcing Leah back until she was pressed against a chimney. "But those people aren't the ones out looking for you."

Leah tried not to appear intimidated as Jared loomed over her, but it was difficult, and their position was bringing back distracting memories; ones that sent heat of an entirely different origin raging through her.