Chapter 18 - Secrets and Scars

These woods are lovely, dark and deep,

But I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep.

- Robert Frost, Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening

It was dusk by the time they reached Jervis, a coastal town that sat low on the Pacific Ocean, and Leah was exhausted after walking on an unstable ankle all day. Jared had continued to ignore her, powering ahead angrily most of the morning. Whether that anger was directed at her or himself, Leah was unsure.

As the sun dropped, he slowed and fell into step beside her. They were drawing close to the highway that marked the outskirts of Jervis when he grabbed her arm, halting her movements. Leah turned and found his eyes hooded.

"Put your jumper on and cover your face," he said.

Leah did so without complaint and he gave her a brief once over before nodding.

"Don't look up when we're walking, just follow me."

"Okay," Leah said and they started forward once more, darting across the highway.

They hadn't walked far before muffled televisions and screams of young children dominated the soundscape, overpowering the rustle of leaves and crunch of feet Leah had become accustomed to. As the sun slipped further beyond the horizon, street lamps flickered on, illuminating their way with orange spotlights.

"You're not doing a very good job at keeping your head down," Jared snapped and Leah flushed before lowering her head once more.

Soon after, Jared's hand came to rest on her back, directing her down another road. Leah sensed they were getting closer to their destination by his increase in pace, and after a couple more minutes they stopped.

Leah tilted her head up and glanced around. The road was old and ill-used, lit by murky street lights with small shops lining the edges. A cheap Chinese takeaway stood down the end, neighboured by rundown apartments.

She looked up at the building they stood outside of. A sign overhead read 'Churchill's Hotel and Pub'. As they entered Leah lowered her gaze again. People were lounging around on bar stools and the whole room reeked of cigarette smoke and beer.

"Jared," she hissed, sliding closer to him. Heat came off his body, pouring into hers as she glanced around. They had already gained more attention than Leah was comfortable with. "Everyone's staring."

Jared shrugged. "So? People always stare at me."

Leah looked up, expecting to find him smirking, but he was looking at her seriously, his face blank.

"Wait here," he said. "I'll get us a room each. Don't talk to anyone."

He walked to the bar, leaving her hovering by the door and Leah sat down on a nearby stool. She watched as he attracted the barman's attention and gestured over to her.

As she waited, her eyes drifted to a group of girls in the corner who were staring at Jared with looks Leah could only describe as predatory. It made a deep annoyance spark inside her. As she eyed them, Jared appeared beside her again, slipping a swipe card into her hand.

"Who are you glaring at?" he asked curiously, following her gaze.

Leah quickly rearranged her expression into one of calm composure.