Chapter 5 - The Mors Mortis Device

You cannot run faster than a bullet.

- Idi Amin 

"Do you want to come up to the cliffs tonight? There's gonna be a party."

Leah was resting lazily against the wall, watching as Zarah tightened the bolts holding the car's front wheels in place. She was feeling sluggish from the heat, her limbs heavy. They'd been helping Zarah's dad in his mechanic shop all day and had spent the afternoon buying parts from the junk yard and lugging them back here.

Leah managed a quick smile at the question. "I don't think I'm invited."

Zarah glanced up, hair stuck to her forehead in chaotic patterns. "Don't be ridiculous. Of course you're invited."

Leah frowned and lowered the jack.

School had been closed for a week now. Barriers surrounded the grounds and repair men walked the corridors in the student's places. Improv lessons were being held in the community halls, but the air there buzzed like live wires, particularly when Leah was around. Teachers glared at her, classmates stared. Nobody had any proof she'd done anything, but the moment the fire was announced to be intentional, people had started whispering her name.

"A party isn't fun if no one wants you there," Leah pointed out. "Besides, the last time I went out drinking I was harassed."

"Yes, well, that's never stopped you before," Zarah said impatiently. "Besides, don't you want Jared to show up again? I know you're curious why he hasn't told anyone about what he saw."

Leah had to admit, Zarah had a point. Every day this week her ears had been kinked, listening for her doorbell, waiting for sirens as she walked to the community hall. But nothing had happened, and the longer her expectations had been met with silence, the more disturbing it became. For whatever reason, Jared hadn't talked, and that worried her.

"I don't want to see Jared," Leah said with finality. "If he wants to talk, he can talk to you."

Zarah grumbled, but her face brightened considerably at the suggestion.

Leah glanced out the window. It was just reaching sunset and the sky was streaked with colours: baby blue, apricot, coral pink and the palest of lime greens, all dripping into each other.

"I should probably go," Leah said, detaching herself from the wall. "You've got to get ready. It's getting late."

Zarah uncrossed her legs and stood, looking down at herself critically. "It's gonna take forever to get this grease off."

Leah grinned and headed towards the garage door. "Try not to fall off a cliff while you're there."

"Are you sure you don't want to come?" Zarah called after her.

"Nah, I've got big plans. Chocolate. Maybe a movie."

Zarah laughed. "Have fun with that."

"Will do," Leah said, rolling down the garage door behind her and starting home.

Usually she rode her bike to Zarah's, but today there was no rush. It'd been three days since Leah told Alice about the fire, and she still wasn't able to enter the house without getting a heavy dose of disappointment and anger.

She wasn't looking forward to returning to the awkward silences and diverted glances and decided to wander onto a bush path to waste some time. She turned onto a track that joined Zarah's suburb with her own, dragging her hand along the rusted back fences that lined it, eyes glazing over as she watched. She wanted to cross cities like that. Gliding over them, through them, until she'd seen everything.