Chapter 13 - An Unfortunate Situation

Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn't.

- Erica Jong 

Leah was lying on the grass when the first sun rays brushed her face. She liked where she was; not really awake, but not asleep either, rather in a soft, sunlit corridor that ran between the two. It was a welcome change from last night. After Jared left, she'd sprinted out of that room, choosing to occupy open space. She'd presumed the backyard would calm her fears, but the night had been dominated by tossing and turning, worry running too deep to dismiss.

It'd been impulsive asking Jared to take her to the live world and she was beginning to regret it. Even though he'd agreed, the memory of his anger when he'd been tied to that chair haunted her.

Leah's thoughts were interrupted as a shadow fell over her face, blocking the warmth with a dark stillness. She cranked one eye open to find Jared standing over her, hair backlit by the sun.

Leah resisted the impulse to flinch back and regarded him, noting the dark shadows under his eyes. He wore the same clothes as yesterday, the material uncreased.

"Get up," Jared said. "We need to go."

Leah stood quickly, brushing rogue leaves from her clothes as Jared turned and started to walk towards a car parked in the driveway. She ran to catch up, reveling in the stretch of her legs after such a long time cooped up.

"Are we near Narra?" she asked, slowing her pace to match his stride.

Jared glanced at her. "Not really."

Leah swallowed, unsure how her next words would be received. "I want to go back there."

He stopped and spun to face her. "I thought you wanted to go to the live world."

"I do, but I need to see Zarah first."

Jared's eyes clouded, a hand ran through already messy hair. "I don't think that's a good idea."

Leah tried to hide the mistrust from her expression. "Well, I do."

Jared's jaw clenched. "I'm not your chauffeur."

"I know," Leah said calmly. "If you don't want to take me, that's fine. I'll find someone else."

Jared glared at her and then turned away, muttering under his breath. "Fine. Get in."

Leah opened the passenger door and jumped into the car. Two hiking packs sat in the backseat and she turned to rustle through them for a water bottle. Before she'd turned back around Jared hit the accelerator, launching them forward and sending her crashing into her seat. She hit awkwardly and bit her teeth against a whine of pain.

Jared snickered and she glared at him.

"Was that really necessary?" she snapped.

He smirked, but didn't respond as they pulled onto the highway.

Leah turned to stare out the window, watching the tarmac glide beneath them.

"Why do you want to see this Zarah girl anyway?" Jared asked eventually, tearing Leah's gaze from the landscape.

She turned to find him examining her, one hand resting lazily on the wheel. His expression was blank, but she knew not to trust his apparent indifference. Every time Jared felt something, he'd throw up walls. He was almost as good at hiding his thoughts as she was.

"I want to say goodbye," she said.

Jared snorted. "That's bullshit."

"No, it's not."