Chapter 14 - Regrets

If you even dream of beating me, you'd better wake up and apologise.

- Muhammad Ali 

"Leah?" Arelie repeated.

Leah was frozen, watching as the blonde's eyes widened.

"What are you..." Arelie cleared her throat and glanced at the guy behind her. "Everyone was saying you ran away."

Leah fought the urge to sprint off.

If what Zarah said was true, Arelie would've heard rumours that she was alive. There would be no benefit adding fuel to that fire, so she stood her ground, eyeing the man hovering over Arelie's shoulder. His gaze met hers, unwavering.

"I just needed some time away," Leah said, gaze moving back to Arelie. "Anyway, I've got to go."

Her attempt to squeeze past was thwarted when Arelie's hand closed around her wrist.

"Hold up. Can I talk to you for a second?"

Leah's heart thudded as Arelie dragged her aside. Out of the corner of her eye she saw the man pull a phone from his pocket. The urge to run was growing, but Leah tried to look unaffected as Arelie turned to her.

"Who's that?" Leah asked, nodding back to their company.

"Oh, that's just Mark. He works with me."

Leah was distracted for a moment. "You have a job?"

Arelie nodded, her gaze dark, and Leah started feeling increasingly uneasy. Mark had lifted the phone to his ear and was talking quietly.

"So, what's up?" Leah asked.

Arelie's eyes were narrowed on her. "I know you're still angry with me about what happened at the school, but I want to make it up to you. You should come over."

Her tone was sharp, removing any warmth the words might have held, and Leah tensed. After spending years helping Arelie commit crimes, she knew her tells. Her eyes held that muted adrenaline, her hands fidgeting with her jacket pockets. Arelie was planning something.

"Thanks. But I've already got plans," Leah said. "I'll see you —"

Leah cut off as she turned to leave and ran straight into a wall of flesh, bouncing backwards.

Mark had moved quietly behind her, his phone stashed back in his pocket.

"Leaving already?" he asked. "Did you invite her to the station, Arelie?"

Leah's eyes narrowed. "The station?" she asked.

They both ignored her.

"I did," Arelie said. "She doesn't want to come."

Mark nodded, as if he'd expected as much.

"That's alright. Back up's on their way already."

Leah watched as he pulled a gun from his jacket and pointed it at her head. She turned and found another gun zeroed on back, held by Arelie. There was a dark anger, rising in her veins, stronger than anything she'd felt before.

Leah laughed, the noise harsh as she glared at Arelie. "Why am I not surprised?"

Arelie smiled. "It's nothing personal, Leah. We just need you to come with us so we can talk."

Leah's muscles tensed, ready to explode at a second's notice.

"You're making a mistake, you know," Leah said, edging her feet slowly apart into a fighting stance. "What they've been saying about me isn't true. I'm not alive."