Chapter 3 - Join the Pack

Chapter 3 – Join the Pack

I pulled in front of Jessica’s house, tears flowing nonstop. I grabbed my luggage from the passenger seat and disembarked out of the car. Closing the door behind me with a tight shut, I trotted towards Jessica’s front door, wiping my tear-stained cheeks with the sleeve of my jacket. Preparing myself to knock, the door opened even before I could do so.

Jessica’s cheery face greeted me by the door, but her smile instantaneously faltered when she saw me. Breaking once more into tears, I ran into her arms and pulled her into a bone-crushing embrace. I felt her hand rub soothing circles in my back, while her soft voice reassured me that everything was going to be alright.

“Marquis, what happened?” she inquired, carefully nudging me to sit on the sofa. As I finally got myself settled on the couch, Jessica fetched me a glass of water and I drank it all down greedily. Burying my face in my palms, I got my elbows placed above my knees while I cracked down, crying.

Sighing, I decided to answer her question, but not without crashing down into another set of tears. “Jessica…” I sobbed, “My parents aren’t my parents” I said, in a rush as she sat plopped down beside me.

“I knew it!” she snapped her fingers as if a bulb appeared on the side of her head.

“You knew?!” I sat up straight in alarm, glaring at her for not informing me before. “Then why didn’t you tell me?!” I queried,

“They didn’t seem to smell like werewolves… even before” she said quietly, looking down at her lap in shame. “I mean—if there are blood relations between two people, they need to smell familiar. But you… your scent is too far from your parents’. That’s how I grew suspicious of them, but I decided to never tell you. Also for your own good”

“Wha-You knew the whole time! Why didn’t you even acknowledge me of this information?!” I demanded, my blood boiling in anger. What’s up with everyone keeping secrets from me? Was I not mature enough to be able to handle all the problems that had come forth in my life? I am not a goddamn child!

“As I told you!” she yelled, standing from her seat and waving her hand dismissively. “I don’t want to interfere on other’s problems. I have no right, Marquis. I am sorry” she told me in anxiety, sighing and dipping her head down.

I cannot exactly blame my best friend from keeping secrets. She was right, it was not her place to say anything to me. It was better that the truth had came directly from… their mouth instead of me knowing it from others. She had made sense.

“It is okay, Jessica. It’s my fault as well”

“Why are you here with those… clothes with you?” she glanced at my luggage beside me and gave me a questioning look. I flashed a sad smile at her and sighed, preparing myself to answer her question without shedding a single tear.

“M-my father threw me out” I swallowed the lump on my throat as tears threatened to fall once more.

“What? Why?” she asked, concern filled her voice.

“I told them about me being a werewolf. It turned out my mother got a heart attack and died on the spot. My father told me to get lost before he kills me himself” I looked at Jessica to perceive that her eyes almost bulged out of their sockets.

“You told them?!” she half-yelled, somehow glad that her parents weren’t home. “It’s against the werewolf law!” she exclaimed, my jaws flew open.

“It is?”

“Yes! We can’t tell anyone except for those who are like us! Oh god!” she slapped her forehead and slumped down to the seat next to me, her mouth hanging open in shock. “Let’s just wish he doesn’t tell anybody”

I nodded, sighing. “Do you know a place where I can stay?”

“Well…” she scratched her nape, “I think it may be the time for you to join the pack” she told me, nervously. “They offer accommodation on the pack house. You can go and live there until you like”

That was an offer I could never resist…

“The alpha will be back tonight from a meeting. You can go, talk to him and he’ll give you the permission. That simple”

I shrugged, “I guess I could give it a try”

She glanced down at her wrist watch and tapped the screen, “He’ll be back in approximately 2 hours. Let’s go for a run” she grabbed my wrist and dragged me out towards the back of her house—where the forest was. We took off our clothes and quickly shifted into our wolf form. Jessica’s wolf was stunning, it was ginger brown with equivalent swirls of white and black.

We ran towards the forest in a dash and raced through the trees. We were now talking through our ‘mind link’ thing, that I wasn’t really aware existed. I kept looking at her in shock while running—still flabbergasted upon the new way of communicating.

‘Marquis, watch out!’ she screamed inside my head which made me look forwards to see that I was headed for a big tree. But even before I could stir to the side to miss it, I banged straight to the trunk and blacked out.

***

Waking up on a strange bed was quite new for me. There was a pounding on my head as I got back to consciousness. I guess I got hit pretty hard. Rubbing my forehead, I sat up groggily, blinking my eyes a few times to let it adjust to my surroundings.

The room was lit dark, and I was sitting on the middle of a very large duvet. I noticed that I was wearing an overly oversized beige t-shirt that stopped at my mid-thighs and a pair of red boxers.

Groaning, my brain was still half asleep and I noticed that a very huge bump formed on my forehead. Just a minute later… Jessica barged in, breathless.

“The alpha wants to see you”