Fixing The Scatter {2}

"You look horrendous," mom said as I bit into my toast.

"I'm not surprised. I did get my looks from you, after all," I said.

"Judeikas!" mom snapped. "I am not your father. I will not tolerate you being a rude brat to me. Apologize."

"Sorry, sorry. I'm just tired," I said, not wanting to deal with her right now.

"That's no excuse for being rude to your parents. Go change your clothes. I hate when you wear ripped jeans. I will buy you an entire pants store if it means you'll wear a pair that isn't ripped," she said, eyeing my jeans distastefully.

"These are comfortable. Besides, I'm running late," I said, finishing my toast and standing up. "I can guarantee you, we won't suddenly run out of wealth and be cast from respectable social circles all because my knees stick out of my jeans."

Mom pursed her lips because she hated when I reminded her that she actually enjoyed living a rich life. Both of my parents had grown up horrendously poor and were your eye-rolling American dream story. Rags to riches, a fortune obtained through hard work and smart investments.

A fortune that would be left to me someday. When my parents died, I inherited everything. All their money and possessions. My grandmother used to be on their will, but my mom had stricken her off of it when she heard my grandmother call me a faggot.

Good riddance, bitch. Hope one of your grandkids cares enough to stick you in a decent nursing home. I'd burn my money before I used a cent of it to help out that walking corpse.

"Don't speed on your way to school," mom said and left the kitchen.

I gathered my school things and got in my car, driving myself to school. Just another day of seeing Gideon happy with someone else.

But at least he was happy. If I could take no other comfort in this situation, I could take that. Even if I hated who he was with, at least he wasn't alone. At least he was still smiling and laughing. I hated it, but Gideon shouldn't be miserable just because I made mistakes.

I parked my car once I got to school and went up and in to the building. My mood was perched on a needle, ready to rock either way. I guess my mood would depend on who I saw first today.

I looked up and spotted Gideon at his locker, holding Benji Bryant in his arms, smiling as he said something. The two shared a kiss, Gideon tightening his arms around Benji.

Bad mood. Today would definitely be a bad mood day.

"Jude!" Nate caught up to me and noticed where I was looking. He rolled his eyes and grabbed my arm, yanking me down towards my locker. "Quit torturing yourself. He's not even worth it."

"Oh, that's rich coming from you, Nathan," I said, barking out a laugh. "I'll get over Gideon when you get over Sonnet."

His face heated up and he released my arm so that he could smack it. "Cut it out, man! It's been years since I had a crush on that bitch! God, you're never going to let that die, are you?"

"You're lucky Asher never told her brother," I said, leading him the rest of the way to the locker.

Nate's face turned even redder. "Drop it! I don't like her anymore. She's hot, but that's because she crawled out of the pits of Hell."