Fixing The Scatter {9}

Today was going to be a very, very bad day.

I hadn't slept last night. I'd slipped off into sleep for about 20 minutes before waking up after a nightmare. I couldn't remember what had happened, only that Gideon and Staz had both been in the dream.

But the lingering terror and the rapid pounding of my heart prevented me from falling back to sleep. So instead, I had paced around, listened to music, and played video games. Anything to get my mind off of that terror.

Now, I sat in my kitchen, exhausted and hungry, being lectured by my mother. I had come down to grab breakfast, only to be met with her charming bitch-face.

"Judeikas," she said, pacing in front of the table as I sat and watched her. I just wanted to eat but she was too busy being an asshole to me. "Mrs. Montgomery called me last night. You were locked away in your room and I was busy doing work, so I decided to talk to you about it today."

"Tatiana, it's not like it was anything bad," dad said, sipping on his coffee. "Jude has to leave for school in a little. We can talk about this later."

"We have plenty of time to talk about this now." She stopped pacing and fixed me with a look. "Judeikas, I told you to stay away from Staz. So you, being the spoiled little brat that you are, go over to their house and upset him in front of his family."

"It was an accident," dad said hastily. "Jude, Mrs. Montgomery assured us that it was an accident. She said a lot of little things set Staz off and that there was no way you could've known."

Well, about that...

"It wouldn't have happened if Jude hadn't gone over there!" mom snapped. "Honestly Sydney, stop defending everything that Judeikas does! It's your fault that he thinks he can get away with whatever he pleases."

Dad leaned against the counter. "You're making a big deal out of nothing. Jude, Mrs. Montgomery called us to tell us how mature and responsible you are. She was so happy to see how much you cared to check on Staz. She went on and on about how good of a kid you are. We're proud that you were nice enough to go check on Staz."

"You better not have gone over there to upset Staz on purpose," mom said, narrowing her eyes suspiciously.

"Jude wouldn't do that!" dad said.

"He's right," I said, standing up. "Now quit wasting my time. I have to go to school."

"Do you see what you've done, Syd? Look how rude your son is!" mom snapped.

"He's going to be late because you're trying to find a reason to be mad at him when there isn't one!" dad argued.

I left the kitchen as they began to argue. My mom could find anything to bitch about when it came to me. Oh well, that was her problem.

I got dressed and hastily left my house, ready to eat and take a nap. But sadly, it was time for me to endure a day of school.

I was anxious for lunch time, when I could use Staz to relieve my stress and exhaustion. My mom always put me in a bad mood. Her bitchiness mixed with my exhaustion was not a good thing. Staz was in for a beating today.

After parking and heading into the school, I leaned against my locker. I really didn't want to be here right now.

"You look like hell," Nate said, coming up to me. "What happened?"