Fixing The Scatter {10}

"Are you sure you feel better?" Nate asked as I climbed into his car.

"I feel fine. Where's Landon?" I asked.

"He and his sisters had to go visit their grandma or something," Nate said, shrugging. "It's just us."

Nate had just gotten out of his soccer practice. Once school had ended, I'd gone home, eaten something, and gotten my homework done while I waited for Nate. I was regretting not taking a nap, though. I was still exhausted. But, luckily, my parents hadn't gotten home yet, so it was looking like I got to avoid my mom for a few more hours. Thank god for small miracles.

"Let's get coffee before we do anything. I'm still tired," I said.

Nate drove towards our favorite coffee shop. It was small, but did good business. Unfortunately we'd seen Ethan and Will there a few times. I was really hoping today wouldn't be one of those days. I wasn't in a good mood and keep my temper in check would be a challenge I didn't want.

Nate parked the car after a few minutes and we got out. I stretched, taking in the warmth of the sun on my skin. We'd had good weather lately. Maybe I'd have my friends over to swim soon. I'd have to be careful of my shoulder, though.

"Hey, Jude." Nate nudged me, sounding surprised. "Isn't that Staz in there?"

I turned and looked at the car parked a little ways away from us. Sure enough, Staz sat in the front seat, mindlessly staring out of the windshield at the sky.

"Let's scare," I said, grinning.

Nate followed me over to the car. I banged on the window and Staz jumped so hard that he banged his head, wincing. He looked over at us, rubbing his head.

I mentally groaned as Staz unlocked the car and opened the door, getting out. Well, that wasn't part of the plan.

"Are you okay, Jude?" he asked.

"I'm perfectly fine," I said, crossing my arms.

"That's good. You were really pale earlier," he said. "You look a little better, though."

"Staz!"

Nero hurried out, carrying a drink in each hand. He had a look of alarm similar to his mother's.

He stopped next to Staz, handing him a drink and fixing him with a stern look. Staz seemed grateful to have something in his hands to play with, his fingers brushing up and down the sides of the cup.

"I told you to stay in the car," Nero said, voice as stern as his expression.

"I was talking to Jude," Staz said.

"I'm really sorry about him. I hope he didn't say anything mean," Nero said, hastily pushing Staz behind him.

"Not at all," I said.

And then, for a reason I couldn't explain, I thought of my grandmother. I thought of the way she took down of every picture of me that had been in her house. I thought of the way she'd try to distract anyone from seeing me if we happened to be together for a family event. I pictured the nasty looks she'd give me. I could almost hear her voice telling my mother to "get that damn boy right in the head" and to "fix that shameful faggot".