Fixing The Scatter {14}

I thought finding Dante Montgomery was going to be a challenge. Everyone made the kid seem like a damn ghost.

But in reality, a quick search of his name turned him up. He was an English teacher at a high school in a nearby town. He offered tutoring services to help kids get ready for tests and SATs, and help with essays, papers, and creative writing.

I got his address from his tutoring announcement and went to bed, deciding to visit him tomorrow since it would be a Saturday. I had also decided to leave Nate and Landon out of this for now.

In the morning, I got out of bed and got myself ready. I hadn't really seen my mom since our little fight, and I was perfectly fine with that.

"Where are you going?" dad asked as I walked out to the kitchen.

"Out," I said, snatching his slice of toast and biting into it.

"I can make you breakfast if you're hungry," he offered.

"Nah," I said. "I'll be back later. I'm going out to the bookstore."

"Here!" My dad pulled out his wallet and offered me money. "Reading is good for you."

"Thanks," I said, pocketing the money. Hey, more cash for me. Perks of rich parents.

Dad smiled at me, that sad smile that said he wished I'd stop growing up so fast. "You know, a lot of kids your age are out doing bad things. But you've always been such a good kid, Jude. I'm really proud of you."

I resisted the urge to snicker, forcing a smile. "Thanks, dad."

He stood up and hugged me. "I love you."

I pat his back. "Love you too, dad."

He released me and smiled as he watched me leave the house. Ah, my poor father. He had a good heart. Unfortunately for him, I took after the bitch he married.

I got in my car and entered Dante's address into my GPS, driving there. I had Staz's drawings in a bag in my passenger seat. I was going to make Dante help me.

It was about a forty minute drive out of town, but soon enough, I was pulling into Dante's driveway. The nameplate on the house read out "Montgomery", with a little sign advertising his tutoring services under it.

I got out of the car, the bag slung over my shoulders. I went up the porch and rang the doorbell, waiting impatiently.

The door opened after a minute and a boy who was clearly Staz's brother looked at me. His hair was a lighter shade than Staz's, but he looked more like Staz than any of the other brothers did. He was young, probably early 20s, and cute in the same messy way as Staz.

"Hi, can I help you?" he said.

"Yes, actually. I was hoping to get your help reading something," I said, deciding to play this off a little to test out his personality.

He stepped out, shutting his front door and gesturing to a table on his porch. "Well, lucky for you, I'm free today. We'll have to work outside, though." He offered me a smile and shrugged. "Nothing personal, I just make it a rule to not work in my house unless someone else is present."