Fixing The Scatter {21}

"I can't believe you're dating Staz Montgomery," Landon said.

"I can't believe you're still bitching about it," I said.

"I can't believe it's not butter," Nate said.

He grunted as Landon and I both elbowed him at the same time. I leaned against my locker and crossed my arms, raising an eyebrow at Landon as I met his eyes.

"Any complaints?" I asked.

"Yea, but not about your boyfriend. About your damn eyes," he said, dropping his gaze. "You're so creepy, Jude."

"It's a talent," I said, looking around the hallways for any sign of Staz.

"Is he going to sit with us at lunch now?" Nate asked.

"Don't be an idiot, Nathan. You know he doesn't like losing his art time," I said, dragging my eyes away from the hallway to look at Nate. "Just don't touch him."

"Complete 180," Landon said.

"If you want to see a complete 180, I can go from being your friend to your tormentor," I said.

"Hey now, that's uncalled for," he said.

"So is being a little bitch. Suck it up. I'm dating Staz and you're going to leave him alone," I said.

I looked over and caught eye of Staz. He was making his way towards me, anxiously pushing his thumbs into his palms.

"Jude," he said when he reached me. He sounded upset and I mentally groaned.

"Come here," I said, gesturing at him to follow me. I shot my friends a look to keep them where they were, leading Staz to a quiet part of the hallway. "What's wrong, Staz?"

"My parents said I can't date you," he said, hands tugging at his shirt now. "They said I'm not ready to date."

"Do you think you're ready to date?" I asked.

He looked confused. "They said I'm not ready."

"I know what they said, Staz. But what about you? What do you think?"

He chewed on his lip, tugging at his shirt again. "I don't...They said..." He glared at the ground in frustration, words failing him again. "I want to date you."

"Then I'll talk to your parents afterschool," I said, resisting the urge to put my arm around him. Touch would only make this situation worse. "Don't worry about it, Staz. I promise I'm going to handle it and we're going to date."

He peeked up at me. "Can I kiss you, Jude?"

"You don't have to ask," I said.

He blushed a little and leaned forward, kissing me. I wanted to pull him closer to me, but I knew I had to take the physical part of this relationship very slowly. That was fine, though. It was Staz, and I could be patient with him.

We pulled away from each other. I could hear a few people murmuring around us, but I ignored it. Let them talk.

"I'll find you afterschool and I'll come to your house. I'll talk to your parents," I said.