Fixing The Scatter {5}

I sat on the couch in boredom, waiting for my parents to finish getting ready for this stupid dinner. My dad came downstairs dressed as neatly as me, sitting next to me on the couch.

He cracked a smile. "Every time you dress up nicely for these events, it makes me sad. Where the hell did the time go?"

My father was one of those people who, unlike my mother, was very verbally loving and caring. I was his beloved son and he dreaded the day that he had to admit I was an adult. He was constantly telling me how proud he was, how much he loved me, how I was growing into such a good man.

"Well, I'm not a toddler anymore, dad," I said.

"You were the cutest toddler. Your mom always called you her sweet boy," he said, reaching over and playfully pinching at my cheek.

I smacked his hand away. "I'm not a toddler! Don't do that!"

"Hey, you're growing up way too fast. Let me enjoy you while you're here," he said. He sighed. "Soon you'll be off to college."

"What, so you wish you were like the rest of your siblings and had ten million kids?" I said. Both of my parents came from large families, and their abundance of siblings had produced an abundance of kids for themselves.

Dad shook his head. "Nope. Your mom and I never wanted a lot of kids. No more than two. Until we had you." He gave me an affectionate smile. "We didn't think we'd be able to love anyone else as much as we loved you. So, one kid for us, and I'm glad. I just wish you'd stop growing up."

"I can't exactly turn that off," I said.

"I'm glad we only had one child. If we had another child who was as spoiled as you, Judeikas, I think I'd go crazy," mom said, entering the room. "Fix your hair. Don't run your hands through it so much."

"He's not spoiled!" dad said.

"You only say that because he has you wrapped around his finger," mom said, grabbing her car keys. "Let's go before we're late."

"You're not spoiled. You're a good boy," dad said to me as we got up off of the couch.

Oh, yea, I was a real charm. I nearly snickered, but managed to choke it back as we left the house.

When we got to the dinner, I followed my parents into the nice restaurant. I looked around, searching for Staz.

My eyes landed on him. He was standing with the rest of his family, dressed in clothes that didn't look right on him. He had a little chalk on his pants.

He looked completely out of place here. His eyes traveled around the surroundings and he looked more like a lost puppy than the son of a wealthy family.

Only three of the four Montgomery children were here, as was usual. Staz's two brothers seemed at ease and fit right in as they talked with the people around them. Staz's parents were dressed as neatly as their children, both holding drinks as they talked with the people standing with them.

I watched as Staz's mom shook his shoulder, getting his attention. She said something to him and nodded at the man in front of them. The man held his hand out and Staz stared at it like he wasn't quite sure what to do. His mom looked embarrassed as she hastily pushed him away and said something to the man.