Chapter 2

"Alright," Grace says. "Now it's pretty basic. Over here, to the left, is the skate shop." She leads me in there. "Right here, in front of the skate shop, is pretty much the skate clothes. Here are the shoes, the sunglasses, the name brand clothing. Now, here is all the jewelry, and there's souvenirs." She's leading me everywhere. "Here is the t-shirts, the other clothes. Back there is the convenience store. Upstairs-" she leads me upstairs. "Upstairs to the left is the dressing rooms and the women's boutique. Upstairs to the right is the children's clothes and toys, and the restrooms."

We go back downstairs.

She shows me how to fold a shirts and a sweatshirt both with a folding board and without.

"Alright, now, stay where the t-shirts are, and fold those, and just randomly move to the sweatshirts to fix them."

"Alright." I shrug.

She walks off to go back to what she was doing, and I just start folding shirts.

There's a lot of employees here.

It's sort of lonely.

Customers are the only ones who speak to me to ask me where something is.

It's mostly them asking for the restroom.

I'm not spoken to by any employees, not even Grace, who taught me everything.

Everyone is handing outwith their friends.

Everyone here has good friends, but me.

I already went on break. It's ten at night, and we all get off at eleven.

The store is completely dead.

Everyone, including the managers, are handing out in front of the indoor surfing, which is called the flow rider.

More than half of the guys that work here are extremely attractive.

I keep catching one of them looking at me.

Everyone is kinda laughing and talking and hanging out and not working, and I'm the only one who's still folding shirts.

It's miserable and embarrassing.

They're swearing and laughingand they're like one big friend group.

The guy, the blonde one, he's really attractive, and he's been watching me since I got here, I catch him looking at me agan.

"Hey!" he calls.

I look up.

"Come here."

My nerves set in and I walk over to everyone.

They're all just kinda watching me.

"What's your name?" he asks.

He's rather...

Rude...

"Abigail." I say.

"You're British."

"No-"

"She's Australian." Grace says.

"Come on bro, be nice to the new girl." A guy says.

He waves him off.

"I'm Liam." He grins. "Now, every time a new person comes, I make a bet with them."

I raise my eyebrows.

"Yeah?"

"I bet you one hundred dollars that I can surf in that thing longer than you can."

I start laughing.