Chapter 10

I found an airport cop and asked to borrow his phone.

He let me. I called Mum and asked her to come get me.

I cried the whole way home. She didn't ask me any questions. Dad asked questions the next morning, but I ignored him. They got me a new phone. It's been two weeks and I've made no move to call Lane and find out when I work.

I'm laying in bed, watching the Kardashians when my phone starts ringing.

Lane.

I sigh quietly.

"Hey." I sigh.

It's quiet forever. "Abby, you can't avoid this forever." He says.

"Uh, yeah, I can."

"Come on." He says. "I practically forced Liam to tell me what happened. I've known Liam for two and a half years. He got hired when he was fifteen and I was eighteen. I moved up to manager and he's been with the company. Liam is like a brother to me. I've never seen him this depressed. You know he didn't mean to hurt you. He really loves you, Abby."

My eyes are full of tears.

My eyes are full of tears because I miss Liam.

I miss him so much. I even miss him pissing me off.

I choke out a laugh, but tears slide down my cheeks.

"I know." I whisper.

"Come into work for night shift." He says. "Seriously. Work t-shirts with him tonight. Please? He needs you, and you need him."

I sigh. "Alright."

"Okay."

It's already two thirty, so I get off the phone with lane and take a shower. I brush my teeth and hair and throw on the black sur style shirt and a pair of ripped skinny jeans. I wore them in Australia and on the plane home, Liam mentioned something about them being his favorite. I put n white O'Neill thongs, and I walk out of my room with my purse and phone.

"Can you take me to work?" I ask Mum.

She hasn't questioned me once. She knows it's got to do with Liam.

She nods and her and Dad and Izzy and I get in the car.

It's quiet most of the way. We hit wicked traffic on the bridge though, so I text Lane.

Me: traffic is shit. I'm gonna be late

Lane: alright

"Do you love him?" Mum asks suddenly.

Izzy and I look at her.

"What?" I ask.

"Liam." She says. "Are you in love with him?"

I look away from her and out the window, and the car is quiet for a while.

"Yeah." I whisper.

Her and Izzy don't say a word.

"You are?" Mum asks.

"Yes. I'm in love with him."

"Izzy and Dad and I will be making an appearance at your work later, but you won't know when." Mum says.

"Why?" I ask.

"I want to see this boy." She shrugs.

<><>

I was supposed to be at work for 3:45 and I didn't get there until 5:33.

Which is now.

I'm rushing into the back.