Chapter 12

All of my family left, and they went back to Australia after that fight. Hailey and her parents went with them because they were their way home.

Everyone left the house. Liam stayed late, but I took him home with Mum's car.

Today is Liam and I's one month. I'm nervous because school starts up a week from today. It's Tuesday.

I'm at work on break, and I'm so nervous for school.

I'm going to Clearwater High, and Grace, Jackson, Lucas, and Liam all go to Countryside.

I'm going to have nobody.

I haven't cried about it yet, but I know I will.

I'm so worried.

I'm not good at making friends.

What if I'm bullied there like I was in California because I'm different?

I'm so afraid.

Liam wasn't allowed to take his break at the same time as me because somebody had to be in the section while I wasn't.

Liam already took his break.

My eyes start to well with tears. I'm so afraid.

The more I think about it, the more I cry.

I hate being an outcast.

I hate not having friends.

I hate being alone.

I'm late back to work, so I wipe my cheeks so go inside with my head down. I walk right past Liam and go upstairs to clock in. We're working morning shift today. Dad and Liam fixed my car and Liam taught me to drive it so now I drive myself everywhere.

My heart is pounding as I go back downstairs.

I get away with ignoring him for two minutes.

Suddenly though, he comes up to me and plucks the t-shirt from my hands.

"What's wrong?" he asks.

I just shake my head and continue fixing the pile of shirts.

"Abby." He tilts my chin up so my eyes meet his, and he panics.

"What's wrong?" he asks.

"I just...I-I'm so scared to go back to school. I was bullied in California because I'm different. I'm so afraid."

"Babes, I'll fight somebody for you."

<><>

It's the first day of school.

People just kinda stare at me when I say here for the attendance. It's only first period. My heart is pounding.

"Are you British?" the guy next to me asks.

"No." I say.

"What are you then?"

"I'm Australian."

"Oh shit, an Aussie!" he says. "Are you from America?"

"No."

"So, do you wear thongs?"

I hear laughter all around the room.

Does he mean the underwear, or the shoes?

Oh go, oh god.

If I say yes, either I was them on my ass or on my feet.

If I say no, either I don't wear them on my feet and I don't wear them on my ass.