Chapter 6

Lane announced that we were going to a party on the beach. We all got dressed for the occasion and took the car to the party.

Megan told me I didn't have to go, but Hailey was going and so was her family, so I just went too.

Liam hasn't said one single word to anybody.

Lucas and Jackson are his best friends. They said he won't even talk to them.

The party is riddled with Australians and people are going up and singing on the stage and it's kinda like a concert of random singers, some really good, and some horrible.

I feel really bothered by everything tonight.

Liam is sitting in the corner, against a tree, ignoring everyone.

"Alright, we need somebody to come up next." The guy on the stage says.

"Are you alright?" Hailey asks me.

"Yeah." I sigh. "Just, kinda bothered by all of this."

She nods.

To my surprise, Liam walks up onto the stage.

He's quiet for a long time.

"Uh, I'm not Australian. I hope that's okay."

Everyone cheers him on.

He takes a deep breath, shoves his hands in the pockets of his jeans.

"Well, uh, something happened today." He says.

Everyone I'm here with is looking at him.

The whole crowd is looking at him.

"So...uh..." he hesitates. "Sorry, I'm nervous. Uh, I'm from Clearwater, Florida, in the USA. My name is Liam Ashton. This girl I know, her name is Abigail, she's from here in Melbourne. When she was thirteen, she forced by her parents to move to California. Then, when she was seventeen, she was forced to move to Florida. Well, her parents made her get a job, and she happened to work with me. Well, there's this thing I do with every new employee, and that's challenging them at surfing. There's this indoor surfing place where we work. She agreed. I've never been beaten, but she won, and I was pissed. I called her a bitch and I've been, well, a dick to her since. I think it's because I'm kinda stupid and I have no idea how to express these feelings. I didn't really understand them at all until today. I know Abigail hates me because I'm an, as she would say, a bloody fucking cunt." He laughs a little. "Well, she told everyone we're here with that she's staying here in Melbourne, and in that second, I understood it. I understood all of it. I freaked out and we got into a fight, and I've completely avoided her. If anything, she hates me more now than she ever has, but I have to get this off my chest before I go back to America tomorrow. I'm not good with words, so I'm just gonna sing it, if that's okay."

I'm so confused.

"What the fuck is he doing?" Lane whispers.

"I don't know." I mutter.

Everyone is so confused.

Liam picks up the guitar and starts to strum.

This time, this place misused, mistakes

Too long, too late, who was I to make you wait

Just one chance, just one breath

Just in case there's just one left

'Cause you know, you know, you know

That I love you

I've loved you all along