Chapter 6: Their House Guests

They arrived at Snape and Meredith's home at around 5 in the evening. Harry, Hermione, and Ron marveled at the flowers in front of the house which, Snape informed them, was Meredith's work of art. He loosened up a bit after spending the whole afternoon with them. He told Minerva he and Meredith moved into the house right after they got married. It was not a big house but it was cozy.

"Oh oh! I can Alohomora the lock for you, Professor!" Hermione teasingly said, and the others laughed.

"Very funny, Miss Granger. I'll deduct 50 points from Griffyndor for your cheekiness."

"Nonsense, Severus, 5 will do," Minerva said and laughed at his annoyed expression.

Turning the lock open with his key, he stepped inside and was shocked to see the house in a mess as if there had been a fight. His guests appeared equally shocked.

"Meredith?" he called, his voice full of worries. He quickened his pace into the kitchen and saw his wife lying on the floor. "Meredith!"

Her head was bleeding, and blood was dripping out from her nose. She was unconscious. He felt her pulse and performed CPR on her. "Call the ambulance!" he ordered as a tear streamed down his face.

"Allow, me, Severus," Minerva said as she took out her wand. She chanted a spell and Meredith coughed into consciousness. She still lay unable to move. "She's under a paralysis spell," Minerva examined. Again, she chanted another spell and Meredith moved her legs, groaning in pain as she did so.

Severus cradled her in his arms. "You're alright. You're fine. Thank God. You're fine, love," he said as he kissed her head. "Who did this to you?"

"Get me to the hospital, please," she pleaded as she cried, "I need to check..."

"It's OK, Meredith, I'm a... nurse," Hermione interrupted her. She silently cast a sleeping spell and she hovered her wand over Meredith to check for any internal injuries and found none. She cast another healing spell to help heal her wounds and magically clean her face and skin of blood. "She's fine," she assured her former professor who was still cradling his wife. "I think we should get her to bed. Let her rest. Any questions can wait. Or you can use Legilimency spell to..."

"No," Snape sternly refused and carried his wife bridal-style to their bedroom. He lay her on the bed. She looked like she was soundly sleeping. Her breathing was steady. He wanted to stay there with her but he knew she would not approve of him abandoning their guests, so he went out. He checked out the two spare rooms and saw that they had been prepared. He went back to his guests who were gathered in the living room. He saw Ron and Harry use their wands to put everything back to their own places. He did not approve of the use of magic in his house, having lived without it for quite sometime but now, he just could not care less what was happening. He only worried about his wife and he couldn't wait for her to wake up.

"It seems like she had prepared your rooms. You may go freshen up and make yourself comfortable," he told his guests with a surprisingly kind tone. Gone was his cold nature.

Minerva, Hermione, Ron, and Harry obediently went to their rooms. Thinking about dinner which he had no mood to prepare, Snape took out his phone to order some pizzas and Chinese take-aways. Then, he went back to his bedroom to check on his wife. She stirred a bit but did not wake up. He climbed onto the bed and lay on his side, watching the steady rise and fall of her chest. He caressed her cheek with his thumb, pulling the hair covering her face behind her ears with his fingers. Once, he found the dead body of his love interest and it had shattered him since. Meeting Meredith gave him a second chance at love, only this time, his feeling was reciprocated, even more than he thought he deserved. He was nothing when he found her but still she fell in love with him. This woman was no Lily. Lily did not see the good sides of him, neither did she try to. Meredith found him a broken man, both physically and mentally, and transformed him into a man he never knew he could be, only with her love and acceptance. If Meredith had existed at the same time Lily did, he was damn sure would still choose Meredith. His eyes were filled to the brim with tears which threatened to fall, realising how close he was to losing her today. He had lived, albeit in bitterness after Lily was gone, but he was sure now, if he lost Meredith, he would never want to live again. He kissed her head, letting his tears fall onto her face.