Chapter 10: Her Breakfast Surprise

It was almost 8 when he woke up. Meredith was not there but he knew where she must have been. It was a Sunday after all. He put on a shirt and his decent pair of trousers because of course, he would not want to parade his half-naked body in the house in the presence of the people who knew him to be a prim and proper man.

"Good morning," he greeted his wife and planted a quick kiss on Meredith's cheek. She was busy frying some bacons and sausages. "You went to the 6.30 Mass?" he asked as he poured himself a glass of warm water to quench his morning thirst.

"I did, there were not many people. We were done by 7.15."

"Why didn't you wake me, could've gone together."

"No, I thought we had guests in the house and it would not be appropriate to leave them, so I decided to go alone. Oh, Minerva said she had to go, so she just... I forgot the word, really. She just vanished. The boys and Hermione are still sleeping. I don't want to wake them up so early on a Sunday."

"Hmm... had I known no one would be awake except for us," he wrapped his arms around her waist from behind, whispering in her ear with his ever-oh-so-sexy voice, "I would... you know... fill you with something else, in addition to the spiritual fill you just had at church."

"Good morning," Harry said, rubbing his eyes as he walked groggily into the kitchen and sat in front of the breakfast counter, facing Meredith who was still cooking, and his former professor. Of course, Snape had quickly broken away from his wife at this point and took some plates to help Meredith serve breakfast.

"Good morning, Harry," Meredith cheerfully returned the greetings. "Ron's still sleeping?"

"No, he went to Hermione's room to wake her up," he replied, and then yawned loudly.

"I would really, truly appreciate it if they didn't fornicate in my house," Snape said.

"Ron's still very much afraid of you, he'll do no such thing under your roof," Harry assured, as he sipped a glass of milk Meredith had put in front of him. "Thanks, Meredith. You know..." he added in his still-sleepy voice, "Professor Snape couldn't have found a better woman than you. I wish you had come into his life waaaaaaay sooner than just four years ago." He saw Snape look at him, a look he could not discern as to what its meaning was. "You couldn't have, Professor. Really. I'd only known her for a day but I know it in my heart of hearts that other women you had met, even from your childhood, easily pale in comparison to this one here, so... don't EVER do anything stupid to make this woman walk out on you," he said, directing his own sleepy gaze at him, before sipping his milk again, as if referring to something, or rather someone, only the both of them knew.

"Thank you, Harry," she replied as she turned the bacons in her pan over. Her face flushed; somehow she could feel the sheer sincerity in his compliment. Had it come from Ron, she would have just laughed and taken it as a flirtation, but this came from Harry and Harry did not really talk much but when he did, it was normally something of substance. "Don't worry, I'd chain him to me before he can walk out on me." And both she and Harry laughed.

"Yes, go on, make me a laughing stock," Snape said sarcastically, as he took the now-filled breakfast plates to the dining table.

Ron and Hermione came a few seconds after that and the group enjoyed their hearty breakfast.

"If you all can make it Friday next week, please join us for a little party at the café, it starts at 7 in the evening," Meredith extended her invitation to the trio, "I've already told Minerva and she said she would come if the three of you could come too."

"Your first wedding anniversary party, isn't it?" Ron asked in delight and then added in his usual casual tone, "No offence, Professor but I had never ever thought you'd ever get married, and to this kind of beauty. And been almost one year already too, who would've thought." He bit into his sausage, displaying no look of guilt as if his words were not offensive. Harry and Hermione nodded in agreement.