Chapter 13: Her Dreams Came True

In front of her was a lake. It was quiet. She touched her face, there was blood. She swallowed, and tasted blood. She looked around, there was no one. Even her clothes had changed. She had gone to bed in her night gown but why was she in her jeans and blouse now? And Severus. Where was her husband? Was she dreaming again? Was this the nightmare she had before, which she would not remember when she awoke?

"Meredith..." a voice called her name. A male's voice, but not her husband's. She had heard it somewhere before. There was something familiar about the coldness of the tone.

Using her hand to support her body, she tried to get up. As she turned her head to look for the source of the voice, her eyes met a pair of familiar cold eyes. Fear returned to envelope her being. She crawled backwards, trying to escape until her back hit a large tree. She leant on it, as if trying to push the tree to move so that she could escape the man who was now taking slow steps towards her, as if trying to torture her with the knowledge that he was coming for her. Tears streamed down her face as she whimpered softly.

"Meredith..." the man said again, tracing her face with his fingers. He was squatting now in front of her. "How did Severus get so lucky to deserve a second chance with someone like you? So young... So beautiful... So pure at heart... So like Lily..." Looking at her confused expression, he asked, though rhetorically, "He never told you, did he?"

"Where's Severus? And how did I get here?" Meredith asked without answering his question.

"You were here before, Meredith. In your dreams. Do you not remember?"

"This... this is only a dream?" she asked, confused.

"No, no, now it's real. Well, if you really don't remember, I might as well remind you what happened. I saw you leave Hogwarts castle with Severus this morning and I followed you. You both went shopping but he let you explore alone because some friends stopped to have little chats with him. I followed you, kidnapped you, and brought you here. So, yes, this is real. As real as what I did to you in your dreams!" With this, he held his fingers around her neck, trying to strangle her.

Meredith gripped his hands with hers, trying to push them away. He was too strong for her. She summoned all her courage and tried to stand up, and when she did, she kneed him in the groin. He released his hands from her neck. She took this opportunity to run away but he was too fast for her. He grabbed her hair and locked her neck with one arm while the other arm pushed her body firmly against him.

"Let me go! Let me go!" she screamed, as she wriggled her body to try to escape from his grip, but he was too strong for her. "Severus!" she called, hoping that somehow this was all a dream and her husband would wake her up.

"He will come. Your Severus will come. I've left a tracing charm. He'll follow it to find you here, if he ever notices you missing."

"What is it that you have against us that you have to torture me like this?" Meredith asked, her voice raised. Anger was apparent in her voice.

"I have nothing against you, Meredith. Nothing at all. But you're married to Severus, on whom I so desire to take revenge, so, you're automatically on the torture package deal."

"Revenge? Why?"