Chapter 23: His Present

He looked up at her, his eyes filled to the brim. He then pulled her into a deep kiss, letting the paper fall to the floor. All the ladies in the crowd let out a long 'awwwwww...' Soledad picked up the paper and in her very strong Spanish accent which everyone loved to hear, announced excitedly, "She's pregnant! For two months now!" The guests cheered, even more loudly this time.

"Another party when Little Snape is here!" Severus announced gleefully into the microphone and the guests roared with cheer.

Bruce then took the stage and sang a song to congratulate his friends. Meredith and Severus mingled with their friends again, receiving more words of congratulations. As Meredith was taken to the dance floor by Ron, Harry, and Hermione, Severus was approached by Sister Meredith, whom he had claimed was his favourite nun.

"Congratulations, Severus darling," she said as she held his hands firmly in hers, a motherly touch he had only felt from Minerva. Judging by the wrinkles on her face, he knew this woman must be at least a decade older than Minerva.

"Thank you, Sister. And thank you for raising Meredith," he said and planted a kiss on her cheek.

"It is a joy to us as it is to you, to know she is with child. When she was little, Severus, she was taken ill, very ill. I was very fond of her and dreamed so much for her that it broke my heart when the doctor said one of the permanent effects of her illness was her inability to conceive one day," she wiped a tear from her eye. "I had always taught her to believe in miracles, because God can do anything for anyone who believes in Him. I know she had prayed for this since the day you married. I had also found several prayer petitions in her handwriting placed in the church's petition box for us nuns to pray for. She asked to be able to conceive though she knew medically she couldn't because of that illness she had when she was young. She asked for her husband to be given at least an heir by her. It broke my heart knowing it was her prayer request but I never stopped praying for her miracle. And she got her miracle because she believed. Well, it's either that of the doctor was gravely mistaken," she chuckled. "You're her God-sent, that I believe. Thank you for making her happy. You're a great husband and I am sure you're going to make a great father. Happy anniversary, Severus. You're my favourite among all her ex-boyfriends," she chuckled again and she gave him a long motherly kiss on his cheek.

"Thank you, Sister. Come, let's dance," Severus invited.

"I don't do slow dancing, young man. I'll wait for the rock song," she declared and walked away.

"85 and that old chick's still walking steadily! Impressive, huh?" Bruce said in his slightly drunken voice and gave Severus a glass of his favourite Scotch. "Hey, congratulations, man! A father next year!" he congratulated his best friend and they clank their glasses together. "Hey, Sev, I've got some pranks for the girls," Bruce declared and Sev gave him the usual mischievous grin.

"The girls are going to be sorry for the last prank they pulled on us," Sev said slyly. "Hey, leave Meredith out this time, she's got my baby in her belly."

"Yeah, well, after she gives birth, then," Bruce agreed as he bobbed his head up and down, "wouldn't want to shock my future godchild."

"Who says you're going to be the godfather?" Severus teased, in a serious tone, making Bruce wear a serious expression on his face.

"Friendship over, Sev! Friendship over!" he responded in a hurt tone, but both of them knew they were just kidding each other.

"You're my best friend, Bruce, so you're Little Snape's godfather by default," he said, receiving a smile of gratitude from Bruce. "You're much, much younger than I am, yet I find myself admiring your maturity and wisdom which go beyond your age. My future child is lucky to have you as his, or her, godfather."

"Or THEIR godfather. There might be twins or triplets in there," Bruce added, pointing to Meredith. "Alright, enough baby talks. Now, on with the pranks..."

-THE END-

******************************

A/N: Thank you very much for reading. I hope you enjoyed the story.  Any constructive criticism is very much appreciated. Love you guys heaps!