Chapter 9: Their Pillow Talk

"Did you have any? Before you met me?" Sev quickly deflected the question at her, for he realised he had never told her about that romance part of his past. A part of him suddenly felt guilty for feeling so, because that obviously meant that somehow, he was still hung up on his first love whose son with another man was sleeping in the room next door.

"Well, in primary school, there was Rafael, a lawyer now. Broke up with me because he never won an argument against me. Funny how loud I was back then only to be timid and quiet when I grew older."

"Timid and quiet? Really? Rafael would represent me pro bono against you if I made a case that you were not timid and quiet, especially when it involved the bed."

"Haha! Very funny. But Rafael wouldn't have any personal evidence about the bed part. We were 10."

"Point taken. Shame. Wait, wasn't Rafael there at our wedding? The guy who asked me if he could dance with you, when the band was playing your favourite Spanish song."

"Yes, he was, that was him."

"If I remember correctly, he had this jealous look in his eyes when I kissed you on the dance floor; he was dancing with Soledad then. Was he... still into you that time?"

"As a matter of fact, yes. A year after I met you, Rafael came back to town. He asked if we could rekindle our childhood romance. I just bluntly said no."

"Why? What happened?"

She turned to lie on her side, supporting her head with her hand, and looked into her man's eyes as she traced her finger along his jawline, "You happened."

"But I didn't ask you out until a year la... Owwh..." he said when he realised she meant she had fallen in love with him even before he had the courage to ask her out, and she saw the blush in his face as he smiled shyly, as sign he was thoroughly flattered. "Well, too bad for Rafael. Any other lover?"

"Hmmm... Ah! Barney! I was 15, he was 16. Broke up with him because I caught him exchanging saliva with the prettiest, also the bitchiest girl in school."

"Glad he did, or else you wouldn't have been mine."

Meredith laughed, and then continued, "Then, there was..."

"There was another one?" Snape asked in surprise, "Woman, how many lovers did you have before settling down with me?"

Meredith laughed again, "You might have been busy chasing hot witches on brooms when I was flirting with boys in secondary schools. Do you still want me to tell you?"

"Yes, please. I'd love to hear about all those idiotic boys who did not know how to recognize a truly precious gem. So, the next one was..."

"Juan Carlos, an exchange student from Colombia. He came to our school when I did my A-levels. I think he was attracted to me because I spoke the most fluent Spanish in our class, so it was easier for him to converse with me. Then, before he went home for good, we broke up on good terms and I've never heard from him since."

"Please mention that you're married, if you ever see him again. Wouldn't want a Colombian casanova stealing my wife who was his ex-girlfriend."

Meredith laughed again.

"Any more?"

"No. A few blind dates but that's about it. I found joy in working at the café. I met people from all walks of life there, gentlemen, bad boys, good boys, nerdy boys, but I was not interested in falling in love again. Or maybe because all the other guys did not catch my attention in a romantic sense. Until I met you. Even then, it took you a long time to ask me out. OK, now your turn. Any childhood sweetheart, high school girlfriend?"

"I... did not have any girlfriend," he said.

"Really?" she countered as she raised her head to turn to look at him. "A very handsome intellectual like you with no girlfriend?"

"I wasn't very handsome," he stated matter-of-factly.

"Oh, so the witches did not find your intellect charming? If I had come from your world then, I'd have fought all those witches to make you mine."

"What if I had my eyes set on another girl? And ignored all your efforts because of that?"

"Did you really think you could have resisted my charm, Mr Snape? One kiss from me and you'd surrender your heart," she said confidently, albeit in a naughty tone.

"What kind of kiss?" he asked. "Like this?" He planted short kiss on her lips.

"Hmmm... No," she replied. He started playing using his tongue. "Oh yes... hmm... like that... definite...ly... like that," she said again in between kisses.

"If you had existed in my world then before I fell in love the first time with someone else," he said in his low husky voice, as he caressed her cheek with his thumb, "I wouldn't have looked elsewhere. My past would have been very much different. It would have been a much happier one, perhaps with little Severus and Meredith running around. And I would know nothing of the bitterness I felt in my actual past."

"I love you, Severus Snape, always know that," she said, looking longingly into his eyes, and he nodded his head. "This..." she continued as she put her man's hand on top of her heart, "...is all yours. And if ever doubt comes to you, just use your magic, I'm sure it doesn't lie, use it on me and you'll see this heart beats only for you, because in it there's only you." She planted a long kiss on his forehead, and looking into his dark eyes again, said, "Always." With that, she rested her head in the crook on his neck again, and drifted into her slumber. He wrapped her in his arms the whole night and when she had her recurrent nightmare, he was swift to wake up to calm her down again.