Chapter 7: His True Identity

After dinner, everyone withdrew to the living room with their desserts – tubs of Ben & Jerry's ice-cream of different flavours, and of course, Meredith's scones. The ladies sat together in one long couch while Harry and Ron occupied another long couch opposite them, enjoying their ice-cream.

"Your scone with strawberry jam and extra cream, my lady," Snape said as he offered his wife a scone.

"Thank you, love. It always tastes extra delicious when made by the husband," she winks at him in gratitude.

"Four years and I honestly still don't understand your AWFUL obsession of scones for every meal and every part of the meal," Snape said, stressing on the words 'awful' with a frown, as he took his seat on his reading couch opposite the ladies, Scotch in hand.

"Four years and I still love your honesty about my awful obsession," Meredith countered playfully as she took a bite of her scones.

Honesty. The word hit Snape hard and he downed his Scotch in regret and shame at having lied to her, or never fully telling her the truth about himself.

"Slow down there, tiger," Meredith said, as she had always known her husband to be someone who loved to take it slow and steady with his Scotch.

"I was a wizard," he said out of the blue, looking straight into his wife's eyes with a guilty look. Deafening silence ensued as all eyes were now focused on them.

"And I was Cinderella's fairy godmother," she added, sounding serious too, but then laughed as she took another bite of her scone, loving her husband's spontaneous humour. Hermione found it very funny but she dared not laugh, for she knew her former professor was serious.

"I haven't really been honest with you, Mer," he confessed. Meredith swallowed whatever she had in her mouth while eyeing her husband with a somewhat confused and a questioning look.

"We'll excuse ourselves to allow you both to talk in private," Minerva said and got up from the couch.

"You don't have to. You can stay," Severus told her. Turning to his wife again who was still quiet, "Mer, I came from a different world. I was a wizard."

"What... do you mean... you were a wizard?"

Snape got up and knelt in front of her. He took her hands and she knew this was a serious conversation. He continued, "I come from the wizarding world. I knew magic. Spells. Charms. Curses. Hexes. And other magical stuff."

"Is this... Bruce's idea of pranking your wife?" Meredith asked incredulously.

Not giving up on trying to make her understand, Snape asked, "What do you remember from this afternoon?"

Meredith appeared thinking.

"After coming home from shopping, I found a man, your friend from the café whom I said I didn't like,"

"Lionel."

"Yes. Lionel. He got all grabby, I didn't like it. I tried to fight back but I was no match to his manly strength. I ran to the kitchen. He caught up with me and grabbed me by the hair. I lost my balance. I fell. My head hit the counter. I remember seeing blood flowing down my face and I could feel it coming out from my nose. It was... painful," she grimaced in pain and continued, "Then, I heard him mutter something weird and after that I couldn't move at all. And I don't know what happened after that until you came."

"How does your body feel now? Any pain? Any pain at all? Your head? I found you bleeding on your head."

"It feels... OK. I don't feel any pain at all," Meredith responded. She traced her fingers on her temple and her head, "There isn't any scar. No pain. Like it didn't happen. But it did. It did, Sev," she cried, her hands cupping her husband's face as if trying to convince him. She realised now that everyone was looking at her, not saying anything. A tear fell from her eye. She felt stupid that everybody did not seem to believe her story. She turned to look into her husband's eyes as her voice croaked, "I'm not crazy. I didn't make this up."