Chapter 15: His Powerlessness

"Severus, you've found us!" he sarcastically said. Then, he muttered something and Severus's wand flew from his hand. "Hah! That was easy. You know, Severus, I learnt a lot of magical arts, wandless magic, and more outside Hogwarts, outside Britain. I've created a few spells and charms and curses I haven't shared with anyone. I have one I would like to use on you. I'm sorry you'd have to witness this, Meredith."

"No, please don't hurt him! Don't hurt him, please!" Meredith begged in her cries, and started to wriggle her body again, which made Lionel's grip on her neck even tighter. She felt suffocated. Her now pale lips quivered more and her body trembled from the cold water of the lake.

"Get Meredith out of the water, Lionel," Snape pleaded, "please."

"Well... well... well..." Lionel said, surprised at the plea. "What did you tell me last night, Severus? That you were never afraid of me? And yet you begged."

"Do anything you want to me but please let her go."

"Hmmm... very well. Come on, Meredith," he instructed, holding her firmly still so that she would not break loose and run away.

Meredith walked out of the lake. She stumbled and almost fell. Her knees felt very week. In her blurry vision, she could see her significant other in front of her. There was a worried expression on his face.

"Turn around, Severus. Your hands at the back," Lionel firmly instructed again. "Any movement from you and I won't hesitate to kill her." Severus did as he was told.

Lionel loosened his grip from Meredith but then held her hands behind her back. He made her stand behind her husband, her back facing his. He took out his wand and cast a spell to bind their hands together. "No, Severus," he said, as if knowing what was on his former friend's mind, "you won't be able to undo this binding spell, because unlike the one we learnt in first year at school, this one is mine, it's original. So, don't waste your time." Standing now in front of Snape, he laughed and added, "I am enjoying this, Severus. Now, let's go somewhere where it's warmer. Poor Meredith, she's cold. Move, Meredith."

Meredith walked forward while Snape had to walk backwards because of their positions now. Lionel walked in front of him, enjoying Snape's powerlessness. They came into an old house and Lionel cast the door open with his spell. Meredith stepped in. The house was dirty, cobwebs everywhere.

"Alright, lovebirds, sit!" Lionel commanded. "Yes, on the dirty, dusty floor." They sat down on the dirty, dusty floor. He circled them and then laughed. He saw Meredith gripping Snape's fingers behind her. He knew she was scared. After all, he did torture her a little just a while ago. "I'll leave you for a moment to say goodbye to each other, and when I come back, I will say goodbye to you, Severus, and after that, I'll do as I wish to your widow." He left them with an evil grin on his face.

Meredith saw his reflection on the window in front of her when he left. She tried to grab as much as she could of her man's hands behind her and pushed her head back, leaning it the side of his neck. She felt him lean his head on hers too. For a minute, none spoke; each was just enjoying each other's presence. Slowly, Meredith rubbed her head on her husband's hair. Suddenly, he let out a chuckle saying, "Ticklish."

Meredith smiled and then giggled, "That's ALWAYS your sensitive spot, I dare say the most sensitive."

"It's not happening, not when we're tied up with a binding spell I can't break," Snape said.

"Wh... what is... not happening?" Meredith asked, trying to sound innocent. "No! You didn't read my mind, did you?" she asked again with a surprised tone in her voice.

"No! Since the day we met, I have never used legilimency on you."

"Legi... what? You're rolling your eyes right now. It's not my fault I don't know wizardry terms."