Chapter 3: A midnight song

That night something strange happened as I lay in bed I could hear what sounded like someone singing. I stood up and put on my overcoat and walked outside. I saw the same girl red hair and all sitting on the southern fence line looking up at the moon singing to it.

I smiled as I sat down on the stairs and listened. Her voice was that of an angel to my ears as I leaned over and grabbed my mini harp I listened carefully and began to strum to the tempo of her singing. She paused and turned around seeing me standing on the deck as I kept playing. She then smiled with a light blush and ran her fingers across her hair and started to sing as I played.

As the song came to an end she walked up to the deck and smiled at me "I'm Leah." She said as I walked down the steps and bowed formally to her "I'm Marcus" I said to her as we paused for a moment she then turned around and began to walk off. With a quick turnaround she said to me "I hope we can do this again sometime." With a wink she ran off back into the southern forest and I smiled as I went back inside and went back to sleep.

As the sun rose I was already up and cooking breakfast along with a cup of coffee I sat down outside eating my breakfast and drinking my coffee "Eggs and bacon the true farmers breakfast in my book " I said to myself as I finished eating. It was now six o clock as I put on my work gloves and grabbed my axe and pickaxe and began to work.

It was a rather cool day as I started breaking a part rocks and collecting fragments that could be used for roofing and storing them in a crate I had set near the first field. Soon I had a quarter of the field cleared of stone when I sat down to take a break. The water from the little pond here was fresh and crisp with a sweet taste to it as I looked around I smiled thinking back to last night and Leah's visit.

Soon my break was over and I picked up my axe and began to work on the trees and little stumps in the area while nibbling on some jerky that I had brought from home I began to hum the song she sang when I noticed a man walking down path going past the house he was dressed in a blue sweater and shorts with black hair.

I leaned on the fence post and greeted him "Hello. Nice to meet you" I said to man he then stopped and looked at me "Do I know you? I didn't think so." He said to me as he walked past me. I thought to myself "what a jerk "then the man stopped for a second and turned back around to me "My name is Shane if you must know." He then left heading back towards town. I shrugged and sighed as I went back to work. As I cleared the field I found some plants that would be useful as forge and walked over to the shipping the crate and placed them in. "Now I'm supposed to call this number when I need items picked up that are to be sold" I said to myself as I pulled out the card that Lewis had given me and went inside.

"Pelican Shipping co this Jeb" the voice said answering the phone. "Yes I'm Marcus the new farmer near pelican town at Swedican farms I've got some items in need of pickup for today" I replied "Ah so you're the new owner of that farm Alright I'll be by around seven tonight if that's alright." I agreed and thanked him as we ended our conversation and hung up the phone.

It was now midafternoon and I couldn't work anymore so I thought I might go down into the southern forest and explore a bit since Lewis had encouraged me to explore as much of the area as I could when I wasn't working.

I opened up the southern gate and walked down a forest path with high hills on each side until I came into an open area and another farm near me it seemed to be the local ranch that Lewis had told me about as I walked by I waved to the little girl inside waving back at me and continued down the path until I stood in front of a big lake I was awed by how beautiful it was and sat down to take it all in.

"So this is what farmers do when they are not working the land huh?" A familiar voice said behind me as I stood up and turned around with a smile.