Chapter 23: First Snowfall.

Truly it had been a fall to remember for our couples and now winter was here though the ground had not been kissed by the first snow it was indeed a cold one to say the least. As the sun rose a brisk fog could be seen among the fields while Marcus stood upon the deck leaning against the house.

Winter wasn't his favorite season and there was many reasons why. Slowly sipping his coffee he let out a sigh as Leah came out bundled in a winter jacket. Smiling she walked over and snuggled into his chest. "To cold..Warm me up.." She said before grabbing his coffee cup and finishing it off. "Well..I was finished with my coffee anyway." His voice wasn't the normal warm sounding voice. That caught her attention she had really never seen this side to him.

Before she could ask he started to walk down the stairs and head off to the west side of the farm past the little cave. Quietly she followed him curious as to way the man she loved was acting the way he was.

It wasn't to long before he stopped in front of what looked like a shrine. He started to dust off the leaves and with his gloves on he wiped away the dust and dirt revealing what it said. His hand now on the shrine caused him to let out a deep sad sigh before Leah came up behind him and wrapped her arms around him. "So is there a story behind this shrine ?" she asked him while moving to stand beside him. "Yeah..Leah...meet my grandfather." She held her hands up to her mouth in shock.

"I'm sorry." she said as she took a step back. Marcus turned around to her and smiled. "Don't be sorry Grandpa lived a full and wonderful life." He said before turning around looking back at the shrine. "Grandpa this is Leah I wanted you to meet her." he said before she walked up to the shrine placing her hand on his. "Its nice to meet you grandpa." she said before looking at him smiling.

This was a winter of change. For once Marcus didn't feel alone and if anything he was smiling despite feeling a little sorrow but after all this was a part of life we all have to face one day. Taking her hand he smiled and said "Come on lets go for one of our walks through the forest." Smiling she nodded and off they went.

Meanwhile over at Robins Maru and Sebastien were actually for once working together which had Demetrius and Robin worried they had never seen their kids work together. "So if you can get your program going correct while I finish up the machine we should have the H.H.D up and running." Maru said with a grin on her face before Seb looked over at her with a look of not understanding. "What does H.H.D stand for sis ?" he asked while typing up the program. "Its the Human health detector and with any luck it will help doctor Harvey treat people better." Seb only smiled and shook his head. "Well if it will make sure Abby and the others stay healthy then yeah fine i'll do it."

During which Alex and Haley were over at his grandparents helping them out by cleaning and doing some light repairs to prep for the first snow fall. It seemed that everyone was busy despite it was winter but that was what made thing great.

While walking down the forest path Marcus and Leah bumped into Elliot and Mary it was a pleasant surprise for them as they all had grown close and Mary was a perfect fit in the community. "So Marc whats your plans for winter." Elliot had asked while Leah and Mary were talking about weddings, kids, and other things. "Not much to be honest just enjoying the time with Leah and maybe some light mining and fishing." Well that was half true he had started on those bundles for the Jumino's and he  was going to keep working on it. Most of the bundles were done thanks to him always thinking for enough ahead to keep stuff he had forged and grew let alone also bought.

As it was a breeze picked up and Mary shook a bit. "brr its getting cold Elliot dear lets go home." she said as Elliot nodded and smiled at Leah and Marcus. "Stay warm and enjoy this blissful season of wonder !" he said as he walked off.

It was starting to get late and they were walking back home when they stopped for a moment and looked at Leah's old cottage she smiled as she stood close to him. "To be honest I never thought my life would end up like this." He looked down at her. "What do you mean by that ?" he asked. She let a sigh and looked up at him. "I always saw my life being that I would have failed as an artist then sadly moved back with Kel in the city and never really be truly happy." She said to him before looking back at the cottage. "Well look at where we are now. Happy among other things we have family here now and nothing can take that away." he replied as she smiled more and started to walk with him back towards the path home.

Pausing for a moment they looked up at the sky and as luck would have the sky started to fill with snow flakes. Leah grinned as she danced around the snow flakes lightly kissing her cheeks this had really been the first time she had seen snow and Marcus only smiled his hands in his coat pockets while he watched.

"This is amazing !" she said before walking back over and taking his arm. Marcus knew what snow meant though for farmers and people and he knew the dangers he started to think on things as they made it back home.

Lighting up a fire in the fireplace he took his jacket off and sat down on the sofa. "So winter has come at last." he said while Leah jumped on the sofa snuggling into him. "It seems so." she said while they looked into each others eyes. What surprises did winter have in store for them.