Chapter 20: Hope.

Fear had set in with Leah. Thinking this was all her fault yet strangely enough Marcus was calm and cool. "Marcus ! Why are you not panicking. I mean we are about to loose our home and there is nothing we can do about it."

He just smiled as he walked over to her and held her tight in his arms. "Now then. One thing you know about me is I do not know when to quit or give up." She snuggled deep into his chest and let out a sigh strangely enough she felt safer and calmer in his arms. "Alright. We can find a way to do this." She said smiling.

"So what should we do?" She asked as she let go of him and started to pace trying to think. "Well at times like these I think a visit to Lewis is in due course." She nodded with what he said and they both left heading for town.

Heading to the mayoral mansion they walked in and saw Lewis. "Lewis ! we need your help !" Leah said holding back tears. "What's wrong ? Having issues on what to have for dinner?" They both shook their heads no and went into the long detail of what had happened.

Holding his chin and pacing back and forth he let out a sigh. "I know the laws of this land but that is a very old old law that is never enforced until now it would seem. That was a dirt trick that Morris did." He shook his head then looked at them. "I'm sorry kids my hands are tied just as much as the governors" What little hope they had had vanished.

Folding his arms Marcus got up. "Well there is only one thing we can do." Grabbing his miners helmet and pick axe he looked over at Leah who nodded with him. "Right I'll see what I can dig up in the forest while you see what you can dig up in the mines."

Quickly they left as Lewis seemed to still be lost in thought. Hours went by as Leah searched far and wide collecting what she could. She was a very good at foraging finding the very best quality in rare woodland plants. Meanwhile Marcus was deep in the mines the sound of his pick axe hitting stone as sparks flew he had found a few diamonds but it wasn't enough to cover the cost.

"I got to keep going. I wonder how Marcus is doing though I hope he's alright those mines are a dangerous place." Leah said to herself as she collected truffles which fetched a high price. The benefit of being a master at foraging is not needing a pig to find truffles. "I hope she's alright but I have to keep fighting on." Marcus had thought to himself while fighting slime's but as it was time was slowly running out. Unable to go on Marcus climbed back out of the mine

Panting and wheezing he flopped down on the grass trying to catch his breath as Leah came walking up and sitting down beside him. "Are you okay ?" She asked him as she looked down at the rather tired and injured Marcus. "I'll survive. How about you ?" Leah's face was covered in dirt and her hands cut and dirty from digging and pushing thorny bushes aside to get to stuff.

"I'll be okay." She said while soaking her hands in the lake. "Marcus we are going to lose the farm aren't we ?" He sat up and let out a sigh. "I don't know for the first time in a long time I don't have an answer and to be honest I'm very scared." That was the first time he had ever admitted he was scared as her eyes widened she knew things were dire.

"I guess we'll have to move into my old cottage huh ?" Marcus laughed and smiled. "Yeah I guess we'll have to and I'll have to take up being an artist." They both laughed. "Don't worry honey I'll teach you." she said as she leaned into his shoulder.

Through every hardship they both had gone through this was the worst seeing Marcus broken like that to have him admit he was scared to her meant he really trusted her and instead of holding things back a few tears rolled down his cheek.

Never had anyone seen tears roll down his cheeks the last time he could even remember being like this was when his grandpa passed away all those years ago. Wiping away the tears she placed her hand on his cheek then kissed him. "We'll make it we always do." reassuring him that thing's were going to get better.

"Alright." He said as he got up and offered her his hand. They started to walk home together talking about what they should do and they could do. It seemed surely hopeless but at least they had each other.

As they made it to the main gate Marcus let out a deep sigh as he looked up at the sky. "I'm sorry grandpa I failed you." Leah leaned into him as they continued to walk when all of the sudden they saw a group of people at their house.

It was everyone from pelican town and they all were smiling as Marcus and Leah walked up towards them. Jeb was there also with Lewis as he handed them a package. "This is from all of us. This farm is as much apart of the community as you two are." Sam walked up and grinned as he patted Marcus on the shoulder. "Yeah dude I mean you're like a brother to all of us guys and when our brother is in trouble we gotta like pull together ya know." Everyone agreed and said to both them that they were family and that they wouldn't let anything happen to them. Marcus fell to his knee's in shock before crying as Leah knelt down holding him close. "Thank you." She said to them as she tried to fight back her tears but couldn't

Everyone just smiled and gathered around them offering hugs and warm smiles as Lewis saw the governor walking up smiling he handed him the package. "Paid in full" he said as the governor smiled and nodded.

Finally they had found their home among pelican town with the villagers there it had been a long hard fought road and everyone came out for the better and there was still so much to do.

But this wasn't the end oh no not at all as Morris had gotten word to what had happened sitting in his office he began to plot his next move.