Daryl // I'm fluent in Spanish

Daryl

Made by @darylcuddles on tumblr.
So if you have tumblr GO FOLLOW THEM.

Your pov:
The chirping cicadas gave a soothing background noise to the quiet atmosphere of Alexandria. I lived a little while away from everyone else and I was glad of that, being the reserved type. So, I cherished the peace as I sauntered towards Deanna's house, knowing that once I arrived at the party (fashionably late as always) the atmosphere would be the opposite of quiet.

The warm breeze was reminiscent of the many nights I'd spent in Spain; I'd lived there for over two years as part of my training to become a Spanish teacher. I'd travelled with a couple of other aspiring Spanish teachers from Georgia and amazingly, we'd all been employed in schools in Washington DC and had remained friends. I was incredibly lucky to have been evacuated to Alexandria alongside them, and now they were all I had left. As I neared Deanna's house I smiled to myself, reminded of the nights spent playing cards and drinking Spanish wine until the early hours of the morning.

"Y/N! I'm glad you made it," Deanna welcomed me with a smile, inviting me in. The sounds of clinking glasses, chatter and faint piano music filled my ears, and instantly I noticed how much more crowded it seemed. "Our new members are here, you should introduce yourself."

After thanking Deanna, I strolled over to meet my friends: Emily and Steph. We'd been friends for over six years now, and I considered them my family.

"Nice of you to show up, Y/N," Steph teased with a grin.

"Oh come on, you know how I feel about parties," I replied, a small sigh accompanying my speech. "So, have you met the new group?"

"Yeah, they're kinda intimidating, especially the leader, Rick," Emily said, nodding in the direction of a freshly shaven man in a white shirt who was talking to Jessie. "But they're nice."

"That guy Glenn?" Steph whispered, staring unsubtly at a dark haired Asian guy across the room. "He is seriously cute."

"Steph, he literally just told us he's married," Emily laughed, swatting at Steph's arm playfully. Steph didn't even flinch, she was too busy ogling at Glenn.

"So? Doesn't mean I can't admire him from a distance."

With a roll of my eyes and a laugh, I decided to grab a drink and mingle.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"So you guys all speak fluent Spanish?" Rosita asked, a grin lighting up her already glowing face.

"Sí," the three of us replied in unison.

"Yo también!" Rosita replied, clarifying our suspicion that she also spoke Spanish. Her surname kind of gave it away.

"So, this is all of you here?" I asked Rosita's friend Tara, who had the most inviting smile out of the whole group.

"All of us except Daryl," she replied, sipping on her cocktail. "He's not really a cocktail party kind of guy."

"Same here," I whispered to myself, suddenly curious to meet him.

"Is he the greasy looking guy with the bike?" Emily asked, to which our new friends nodded.

I attempted to tune in to the rest of the conversation, but the buzz of the party became increasingly irritating, the room felt unbearably hot, and the cocktail in my hand suddenly lost its taste. This was happening more frequently lately and not just at parties, even just evenings spent with a few close friends. It's strange that, in a world where company is what kept us alive, I craved solitude.