Chapter 1

"My Lord! My Lady!" I heard someone shouted out as my father and I turned round to the voice. It was a messenger running towards us, as he bowed.

"Robin of Locksley has returned from the Holy Lands" They informed breathless as a smile erupted on my face. I turned to my father as he gave me a small nod. I kissed his cheek before running to the stable, and mounted my father's horse. I made haste quickly to Locksley to see Robin. Robin and I were childhood friends, I loved him like a brother I always wanted. His family were kind to me, and treated me like one of their own.

It wasn't long before I made it to Locksley, it broke my heart to see the people so miserable. Hungry, overworked and tired. I hadn't returned to Locksley since Robin left, because I knew that Sir Guy of Gisborne had taken over the land, when Robin left. I had met the man, many times, I knew he fancied me, it was no secret to anyone. Not even to those who were blind. I heard many gasps as I rode into the unfamiliar village I grew up in.

People whispering and frowning, as I held the reigns to my horse and walked through the pathways. I saw the white flowers in full bloom on the bushes, as I took in their sweet scent, smiling of my childhood memories. I saw an old man sawing on some wood with one hand, he was definitely a carpenter, as I found myself smiling as I ran over towards him.

"Dan Scarlett!" I called out as he lifted his head up to me with a sad smile, surprised and yet joyful all at the same time.

"My dear Esme, you look so much like your mother" He smiled at me, as I chuckled sadly, ignoring the painful twinge in my heart, before I unladylike gave him a hug. He was shocked at first before he returned the favor. My father reminded me so often how much I looked like my mother. Deep golden brown eyes, with long waving brown hair, with hints of natural gold highlights. It fell halfway down my back, and I normally kept it in a long plate, especially when I go riding.

"What happened? Did you have an accident?" I asked referring to his hand, as he just sighed and patted his missing hand.

"uhhh…..an incident. No matter, what's done is done" He smiled as I looked at him sadly, he had always been kind to me as a child. I was forever in debt to Dan Scarlett and his family, for they saved my life when I was just a child.

"Please tell me" I whispered as he looked at the ground, and shuffled the dusty road underneath his foot before he looked back up at me with his squinting eyes against the sunlight.

"My boys took some grain, from Guy of Gisborne as I am sure you know, he runs Robin's estated and works on behalf of the Sheriff" He told me as I stiffened slightly before nodding my head looking away from his eyes.

"I know" I whispered before he crossed his arms and continued telling me the tale.

"They got caught and someone had to lose a hand. Better me than my boys. I'm old, they have their years ahead of them" He told me as I had to bite my lip. I placed my hands on my hips, as the stray strands of hair brushed across my face in the wind before I sighed and looked back at the poor old man, saving his own family.

"It's madness. You're a skilled man, you built half of this village" I told him sadly as he just chuckled shaking his head as I frowned.