29: Ignoring Texts

Fidelity cover by Jasmine Thompson

It's got harder and harder for Aurora to ignore Max's texts. Each one he sent made her heart break a little more. She loved him, oh did she love him. His laugh used to be the only thing that could brighten her spirits. His eyes were the perfect shade of brown, matching his hair. His voice could sing her to sleep many a times, even though it wasn't that great. His arms could protect her from everything bad in the world.

So why did she cheat on him? Why was she so stupid to do the naked tango with Keenan freaking Lockhart?

Aurora screamed on the inside when her phone lit up on her bed beside her. It was a 'good morning' text from Max, she knew it. He sends one every day even though he's hours behind her in Vancouver.

She turned her phone over and tucked herself under her sheets, trying to hide from the guilt she felt.

She called Max as soon as she got home yesterday, ready to tell him about the colossal mistake she had made. But when she heard his cheery voice, she just couldn't. Her words stalled in her throat so instead she listened to him talk for two hours on the phone, not saying a word.

Even when her parents sat her down and told her they were splitting up she didn't feel this bad. She didn't feel bad enough to want to puke every second of the day or cry her eyes out.

"Aurora," her mother yelled, walking into her room. "You need to get up! School starts in twenty minutes!"

Aurora groaned, clenching her eyes tight. Couldn't she just sleep for the next four months?

"Aurora sweetie, are you feeling okay?"

Her mind lightened up with an idea. She could get out of school today and let herself willow in her self-pity for one more day! She didn't want to see Keenan or Jesse anyways.

"No," she cried, "I think I got food poisoning from a gas station we stopped at yesterday."

"What did I tell you about eating gas station food?"

"Don't try to kill yourself," she answered.

"Exactly, well maybe now you've learned your lesson. You may stay home today but I have to go to work. Do you think you'll be okay on your own?"

"Yes," she answered, trying not to sound relieved. Her mother kissed her on her forehead before leaving the room, shutting off the lights in the process.

Thus began the full day of eating her feelings and pretending to not receive her boyfriend's texts.

...

Jesse parked his car in the parking lot of the school. He already missed first period, deciding to sleep instead. The parking lot was void of any other students so no one could see Jesse sigh then rest his head against the steering wheel, gripping it tightly in his hands.

He tried to calm his heartbeat, doing a couple of breathing exercises. In all honestly he was nervous as hell to walk through the doors. He didn't know what to expect from India or Aurora, but mostly he was afraid of the blonde one whose memory was imprinted on his mind.

He stayed up most of the night thinking about her, coming up with ways to apologize to her and make it up to her. But in the end he figured out there was no way she could ever forgive him. He knew he didn't deserve it.

He looked up at the building that contained a whole lot of people he didn't like but the one person he did.

What was he supposed to do if he saw her in the hallways? He's never seen her before but he knew that fate would make it so that he would today.