30: Run Ins

Speakers by Sam Hunt

It was the third Wednesday back after spring break when Jesse mustered up the courage to go to school for the entire day. It was also the day that he saw India at school for the very first time.

It was the lunch period and after being called into the counselor's office the period before he realized he needed to ace his English test or he wouldn't graduate. So for the first time since sophomore year Jesse walked into the library in search of a Shakespeare play to read.

He was surprised at first to see how many people sat in the library during lunch, most of them just as alone as he. He planned to grab the book and get out, possibly go home and read it there. He wasn't in the mood to go to class, even though most of his grades were on the verge of being F's. There were days when Jesse just didn't care if he graduated or not.

He was leaving Greenfield behind whether or not he got a diploma.

But then he remembered that the counselor was going to call his aunt about his grades and if he skipped class again then he would definitely be punished. Probably in the form of having his guitar or car taken away.

So he decided that he would stay for the rest of the day and to ensure that he would start reading the book in the library. He grabbed a copy and checked it out from the old librarian who looked at weirdly. He walked to the back corner of the library where no one usually was, or so he thought.

Sitting on a sofa in the corner with her legs folded underneath her was India.

The exact person he didn't want to see but at the same time she was the only one he wanted to see.

His heart skipped a beat . . . or two. His hands suddenly became sweaty and his body was full of nerves. India must have noticed him standing there because she looked up from her book in her lap and stared directly at him.

Jesse watched as her face morphed into a range of expressions.

Maybe it was the way her eyes seemed to brighten, only for a fraction of a moment that made Jesse's feet carry him to her. Or maybe it was just his heart calling to hers. Whatever it was Jesse found himself standing in front of her speechless.

Eventually she spoke up. "I was starting to think you didn't exist."

He looked down to his sneakers. "Sometimes I wish I didn't."

"Jesse," she began.

"Crap, I didn't mean to sound melodramatic. Pretend I didn't say that, okay? I'm just nervous."

Jesse could barely contain himself when she bit her lip and bowed her head, letting her golden hair fall over her face. She was so damn beautiful.

"I uh-," he began, "I don't even know where to begin. I probably should have texted you first." But there was a reason why he hasn't for the past couple weeks. He was afraid he wouldn't get a response back.

She looked up at him, her blue eyes burning into his soul. He couldn't think when she looked at him like that.

"I don't think you should," she said quietly.

"But India," he breathed, "I want to apologize. I never wanted to hurt you."

She laughed darkly. "That's what they all said."

He huffed and ran his fingers through his hair. "But we're . . . we're different aren't we? What happened between us?"

"Exactly," she said sadly. "We were different than them. That's why it hurts so much more."