Chapter Two

As I push open the door, I enter a dark hallway. It's briefly lighted by the light from the hall but as soon as the door shuts, I am plunged into darkness. I walk forward a couple more steps and I'm able to see the outline of a light from behind a door. That must be where everyone else is. The closer I get to the door, the more chatter I can hear from behind it. When I'm in front of the door I push it open slowly and peer my head around the corner of the door and everyone looks at me. 

All of a sudden I see a blonde haired blur and a brown haired blur come and bowl into me. 

"Bastien!" They both say at the same time.

"You didn't volunteer did you? Oh god I hope you didn't volunteer!" Jessica says in a rushed voice.

"No I didn't volunteer. I was chosen. Which kinda sucks but I was going to volunteer if I didn't get picked."

"What why?" my sister says who is hugging my waist.

"So I could come and protect you as much as I could. But I didn't expect Jessica to be chosen as well. I didn't really think any of my friends would have been chosen."

"Well we got chosen, but we have got to stick together down there. I don't think we will be able to join a clan. I certainly don't want to join the Snake clan. I guess we could join the Lion clan, but I do think we should start off by ourselves. If you know what I mean." Jess said.

"Yeah, we should play it safe before we chose to go to a clan."

Jessica nods her head as someone else walks into the room. There shouldn't be many people left to come through. We sit in silence until someone else comes through. Its a young boy with brown hair and dark brown eyes. He looks about 15. He's quite short too, around Amelia's height.

"I-I'm the last one." He says in a small voice and everyone goes quiet. "There are only volunteers now." and he looks around and seems to be lost. I don't think he can see anyone he knows. So I beckon him over to where we are sitting and he slowly walks towards us.

"Hi. Whats your name?" I ask. He looks at the ground shyly.

"Jett." he says quietly.

"Hey Jett, I'm Bastien. This is my sister Amelia and my best friend Jessica." I say pointing to them when I say their name. Jett gives us a small smile. "Do you know anyone else here?"

"N-No. I don't think so." he says while looking around.

"Well you can stay with us if you wanted?" I ask him and he nods his head so I smile in return.

Jessica and Amelia start talking to Jett and I end up zoning out. I hear the door open and another thirty people walk in. They must be the volunteers. It's about another five minutes before the door opens again and the Commander and the General walk in the door and everyone goes silent.

"Welcome everyone. You are the 200,plus the volunteers who will be sent to Earth so that you can help make the Earth survivable by making settlements, growing farms and areas that the rest of us can live in when we eventually transfer to Earth. Again, the reason why we are sending down the younger ages are because you are the most likely to survive down there considering the conditions. Thank you, you may now see your family members."

As soon as she said those words, people came streaming in, only family members were allowed to say goodbye. If you were in a relationship with someone, you weren't allowed to say goodbye. I grabbed onto Jessica and Amelia's hands so that we could stay together. I saw Amelia had grabbed Jett's hand. Jessica let go of my hand when she saw her parents and her younger sister come through the door and ran towards them. Jett let go of Amelia's hand when he saw his parents come through the door. It was a bit longer before I caught sight of our parents and started to pull Amelia towards them. When my father caught sight of me and my sister making our way towards them he pulled my mother in our direction. 

When we finally met my dad pulled me into a hug and our mother pulled Amelia into a hug. I could hear them both crying. Our mother was talking to Amelia and trying to smile and be happy but you could tell how sad she was.

"Bastien. You have got to look after your sister. You cannot let her leave your sight, you have always got to stick together. You need to pick her over anyone else down there. Got it?" my father says to me and I nod my head. He give me a weak smile and goes to hug my sister and my mother hugs me. 

"I love you so much," she says. "I'm going to never see you again." she sobs louder.

Wait... did she just say "never see you again."

I pull mums head from my shoulder. "Mum, did you just say 'never see you again.'? as in, you think we will die down there?"

"Y-yeah. Earth is too cruel for you both. You won't survive." She has a confused look on her face as if she thought I knew we wouldn't survive.

"Wh-what? You think we won't survive on Earth?" I start to get mad at her.

"No. It's too harsh and cruel. You will try to save Amelia and you will sacrifice yourself for her, and then she will be alone and she won't survive for much longer." She has stopped crying now and is just looking at me confused as if It was as clear as day that we wouldn't live.

"I'm going to prove you wrong and have both of us come back." I look her straight in the eyes as I say this. 

"Okay. You do that." She says kindly but I know she doesn't believe me.

"All parents must leave their children now. They need to start their training." says the Commander, her voice strong and loud over everyone else's.

My mother give me a quick hug and a peck on the cheek before she goes and hugs Amelia and my father give me a hug, looks me straight in the eye and nods. I give him a sad smile in return and he hooks an arm around his wife's waist and leads her away from us.

I hear my name being called from somewhere in the crowd. All of a sudden I hear yelling from where the parents were leaving. A kid is brought onstage and thrown to the ground and gets hit with a guards baton a few times, then he crawls off stage. He must have tried to escape.

"Finally, I found you guys." I hear a voice next to me and I recognize it as Jessica's voice. I look over at her and see that Jett is next to her. "Did you see what just happened?"

"Yeah. He must have tried to escape through the crowd of parents." I reply.

We all go silent after that and go over to one of the walls and sit down. It takes about ten minutes to get everyone but the Chosen out of the room. 

It is a little bit of a bluff, but I believe that I can bring at least one of us back home. Even if it is my sister and not me. 

  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+  

A/N: Thanks for reading this chapter! Sorry that this chapter is shorter than the others, there wasn't much planned for this chapter. Hopefully the next chapter will be more interesting and have more stuff to read in it.

Again. Sorry for not updating very fast. I'm a bit late... like months late but I'm still trying to focus on school work more and stuff so sorry. But thank you for reading :D

-FlatMatesForLife