Chapter Three

+-+ Day One of Preparation +-+

I woke up to see the bed above me moving. I sit up, yawn, stretch, the normal stuff to do when you wake up. I take a look around and see 30 bunk beds lined up against one wall, and another 30 on the other side. Not all of the beds are occupied because we don't have 120 males to use them all. The boys and girls were separated after the Choosing ceremony and we all said goodbye to our parents.

I saw legs swing down from the top bunk and a boy jumping down from up top.

"Why didn't you use the ladder?" I ask Jett.

"Not much fun." He says.

"Okay then." I say as I lay back down onto the bed.

"We have to get up and get dressed. We are going to the school to learn about the ground." He says, and he sounds kind of excited about it.

"Why do you sound excited about learning what could possibly kill us on the ground?" I groan while sitting back up again.

"Because. It just seems interesting to me." He shrugs.

I get up out of the bed and turn to see two lockers on the wall. One has my name on it, and the other has Jett's name. I open the locker with my name on it and find some of my clothes in there.

"I wonder when they put these in here." I think out loud.

"Maybe they got the parents to bring in the clothing when we were having dinner?" Jett replied.

I shrug my shoulders and started to get changed. I pull on a white shirt, black skinny jeans and a dark blue hoodie. I wait for Jett to finish getting changed and we walk out of the 'dorm' and head towards to dining hall. Once we enter the hall, I see Amelia and Jessica sitting on one side of the table with another girl and two boys on the other. I recognize one of the boys. His name is Uriah Knowles. Jessica looks up from talking with the others and waves us over.

"This is Uriah," Uriah smiles, "Asher" the guy called Asher gives us a small wave, "and Zoe." who I'm guessing is the girl who stands up and hugs both me and Jett. "They want to make new friends who could help them survive on the ground."

"I'm Bastien and this is Jett." I say going to sit down next to Zoe and Jett sits next to Amelia on the other side.

"I was talking to them about what they wanted to do once they were on the ground." Jessica says to me.

"We want to join a Clan, but we aren't too sure which one. I know that I do not want to try to go for the Snake Clan. No freaking way am I going anywhere near that group. But we can't decide what Clan to join. Lion or Wolf?" Zoe says turning to me.

"Well Jessica, Amelia, Jett and I aren't going to join a clan yet. Once we are down there, we are getting our supplies and leaving." I say. I can see that Zoe, Uriah and Asher all have a look of confusion on their faces.

"Wouldn't you normally join a Clan first and then go off on your own? Just so that you have time to adjust to living down on the ground?" says Uriah.

"Yeah, normally, but we want to start off on our own. We don't want to get caught up in any of their wars. Once the fighting between the Clans has died down then we might join a Clan if we feel like we are up to it." I can see that Zoe is starting to realize that with the wars going on on the ground, that it would be safer to stay away from them.

"Actually, that might be a good idea guys." Zoe says to Uriah and Asher. Uriah gives them both a look and they huddle into a small group. They obviously don't want us to hear what they are talking about. Even though they are obviously talking about whether they should join a Clan or no. After a few minutes of talking between themselves they all look at us.