Chapter Eighteen

It was about an hour after I had left had I realised that I made a big mistake. I had left the safety of the Lion Clan to go and search for my sister... in what seems like an endless forest and I have no clue how to find out what direction I'm walking in. I didn't have a watch like Jett has, or a compass.

I haven't eaten anything and I do not feel safe walking around on my own out here. Everything just seems scarier now that I'm alone. Every rustle of leaves, every crunch of leaves under foot, every single noise is now something that can kill me. It's terrifying.

As I trudge along, not having any clue to what direction I am walking in, I start thinking about anything. The silence is making all of my deepest and darkest thoughts come out.

What if something is about to pounce on me at any moment and kill me?

What if I intercept a group of Snakes and they take my stuff or kill me... or both?

What if Amelia was attacked and is taken hostage or dead? How would I know if she is alright?

What if. What if. What if.

I shake my head to try to get rid of those thoughts. Nothing is going to happen to me. Nothing is going to happen to Amelia. Everything is going to be alright.

I decide that it is time for me to take a rest and eat something. I have been walking for a few hours and I already know that I am lost. All of the trees look the same. Every stone. Every leaf. Every bush. All of it looks the same.

I take off my pack and sit down in the dirt. Not caring if my clothes get dirty. I realise that I was still wearing the tattered clothes from when the mutant cockroaches attacked. I dug through my pack to find that they had put new stuff inside. There were now some granola bars, about three days worth of food, a flashlight, some rope and another pocket knife. That's why my pack felt quite light.

I pull out a granola bar, unwrap it and start munching on it, finishing it in less than a minute. I decided to not eat anymore so that I can save up my food, because who knows how long I am going to be wandering in this forest. I was about to get up to start walking again when I heard the snap of a twig.

I quickly whipped my gun out and crouched down, quickly hiding myself in a bush and hoping that whoever or whatever is there won't see me. I stay still, holding my breath, trying to see if I can see what snapped the twig.

"Boo!" I hear someone whisper into my ear from behind me.

I quickly turn around and stand up, bringing my elbow to whoevers face it was that was behind me. Their hands instantly went to their nose, so I kicked them in the stomach and they fell, landing on their back. Pointing my gun at their head, they took their hands away from their bleeding nose groaning in pain.

It was Tyler.

"What the heck was that for!" He cried out.

"That was for sneaking up behind me! I could have killed you!" I sat down on the ground and ran a hand through my hair.

I had come close to killing Tyler. All I had to do was pull the trigger and he would be dead.

"That hurt you know." He said sitting up, but keeping his head back, letting the blood trickle down his face.

"Serves you right." I scoff back at him and he just laughs.

He digs around in his pack for something and brings out a clean shirt and puts it to his nose. He tilts his head back down so that he was looking at me.

"So, how long were you following me for?" I ask.

"For as long as you were walking for. I did lose you at one point, but then I found you again."