Chapter Twenty Two

The wall was massive.

It stood at around twenty feet tall. The whole wall was made out of metal and had these antennas sticking out of the top. I walk up to the wall and put my hand up to the smooth, metal wall hesitantly.

The wall was vibrating as if it was humming.

I knock the wall and hear a solid knock. It was a solid metal wall. I have no clue how thick it is. The wall stretched out as far as I could see to either side. How were we not able to see the wall from the Ark? Surely someone must have noticed it.

I start walking along the wall, trying to see if I could find the end to the wall, or maybe a gap somewhere so I could see what was on the other side.

I walked for days.

I came across small groups of people camping outside the wall every few days. They would give me a small amount of food and some water, or would point me in the direction to get some more, but I would always keep walking. They would all say that they were waiting for the Opening.

No clue what it is. But I feel like its when the wall opens up.

I asked one of the groups what the Opening is.

"The wall opens up in certain spots along the wall and they let a few people in every year. It's getting close to the time of the Opening." One of them said.

"So why haven't we heard about it on the Ark?" I ask.

"No clue."

Then I would keep walking.

I was close to giving up when I came across some familiar people. One had blonde hair and the other had brown.

"Bastien!" I hear the blonde one yell before she runs over and tackles me in a hug. "God I missed you!"

I hug Amelia back. I had found my sister by chance.

"Where's Jess, Zoe and Tyler?" Jett asks as he walks up to us.

"They are at the Lion Clan." I reply.

"Why aren't they with you?" Amelia asked me, confused.

"Well.. some things happened and I'm not too sure if we are friends anymore or not. But that's nothing to worry about. What happened with you guys?" I changed the subject. Amelia should notice this and know that I don't want to talk about it yet.

"Do we have a story for you!" She said in the most excited tone.

She went on to tell me how her, Jett and the twins, Julian and Julius, went on their way to the spot I told them to set up camp, but on their way, they came across another group. That group was on their way to the wall and told them all about it. Ever since, they have been with them and have been here for quite a while, waiting for the wall to open up.

They then took me over to their new group and introduced everyone to me. There was Carlos, Jennifer, Kaleb and Luke. Carlos and Kaleb both look around the same age in their late twenties. Jennifer looks around early thirties and Luke looks like he is late thirties. They were a small group, but they looked like they were doing well.

"So how long have you been waiting for the wall to open?" I ask them.

"I have been waiting for a few years now. Didn't make the cut the first few times. But I have a feeling that this year will be the year." Luke says with a smile.

"I'm the same." Jennifer said.

"Carlos and I both found out about it this year. Fingers crossed we make it in" Kaleb laughs.

"So when were you sent down?" Carlos asks.

"About a month or two ago. I haven't been keeping track of the days lately, so I have no idea." I reply.

"Oh that's right, your Amelia's brother. You seem to have done well so far." Luke said.

"I've had some ups... and a lot of downs."I said looking at my shoes.

"If you don't want to answer, that's fine, but what's the worst thing that has happened and what's the best?" Jennifer asked in a soft tone.

"Well... the best thing that has happened was coming across Amelia and Jett again. The worst thing... it would have to be the fact that my best friend thinks that I helped kill off the Lion Clan."

Looks of disbelief popped up on everyone's faces.

"W-wait. The Lion Clan is-" Jennifer started speaking.

"Destroyed. Yes." I finished for her.

"How?" Luke asked.

"The Snakes came and attacked. I happened to over hear their plan, and made it back to the Lions to warn them, but then the Snakes must have moved to attack earlier and now they all think that I lead them there."

There was silence in the group. I felt Amelia wrap her arms around my waist and hug into me.

"The Clan is completely destroyed. There were only a few survivors and I was lucky to be one of them."

"Oh my god. That's horrible." Julius said.

"How are the others?" Julian asked and I gave him a confused look. "The others from my group, did they survive?"

"I'm sorry but they didn't make it. Jackson, Beau and Pat all died from these mutant cockroach things that attacked us. I have no idea what happened to Katherine though." Julius and Julian's faces both fell.

There was silence in the group after that.

In the weeks that followed, I became apart of their group. It was great to be with Amelia again, and from what she has told me, her and Jett are dating. I'm gonna talk some sense into that boy, I don't think that I talked enough into him the last time I saw him. But I'm happy for them.

Everyone became a new family to me. And it was nearing the time of the Opening. Numbers had appeared one day on the wall. A massive "10" was above where we had set camp. Each day the number would go down. Until it was on "1" we knew that the next day. The Opening would begin.

We woke up early the next morning to see a countdown clock on the wall instead of the numbers. We packed up our campsite and waited out the clock. It had hit 00:00:00 around ten-o-clock in the morning.

A loud horn sounded out before a thin crack appeared on the wall. It slowly widened and we realised that the wall was opening for us! We all whopped in joy as we picked all of our stuff up and carried it towards the wall.

The wall was opening wider and wider. There was a bright light on the other side of the door and we had no clue what it was. But we were prepared to walk through it.

I just hoped that whatever was on the other side of this wall was better than what was out here.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

A/N: So it's finally finished!!! I'm sorry that this chapter is really short, I was kinda stumped on how to end it. But hopefully you like the ending. It's not that great, but it could lead to a second book if I was up for writing it.

Thank you all so much for reading this book through its ups and downs. Like all the weeks where I missed posting and then when I went on hiatus because of school. But it was a fun ride.

I am so proud that this was the first ever story I had written and hopefully there will be bigger and better ones to come.

Thank you all again!

-FlatMatesForLife