Chapter Thirteen

"Well I guess you're apart of our group now." I hear Zoe say to Tyler.

"Yeah, I guess I am."

It has only been a few hours since I shot Jacob. It was starting to get dark now, but we were quite a while away from the Snakes territory. All of us trudging along, the guilt of killing those people was starting to kick in.

"We-we killed people." The shock in Amelia's voice made me turn around and pull her into a hug as she started to cry.

"We had to do it or they would have killed us." I whispered into her hair while gently rubbing her back.

We decided that we should set camp for the night here, everyone seemed to be sapped of all energy after what happened. We thought that lighting a fire wouldn't be a very good time, because if some Snakes wanted to come after us, having a fire burning would be like a beacon showing them where we are.

I said that I would take first watch and Jess told me to wake her up in a few hours so she could take watch too. Everyone grouped together under their blankets and fell asleep. I stayed, leaning against a tree so that I wouldn't doze off, scanning the surrounding trees, watching and listening to see if anything was anywhere near us.

I was starting to doze off when I thought, I should wake up Jess now.

I got up from my spot and quietly stepped over to Jess and gently shook her awake. She mumbled something before taking my spot at the tree and pulling her blanket up around her. I decide to go and lay down next to Amelia.

It was around fifteen minutes before I heared hushed whispering.

"Can't sleep?" I hear Jess' hushed voice.

"Nope, what about you?" I was surprised to hear Tyler's voice.

"Bastien woke me up about 15 minutes ago to change shifts."

"Oh. So how long have you all been on the ground for? I can't remember if I have already asked this question or not." I hear a small laugh from the both of them before Jess replies.

"About a week. You said that you had lost your group about a few months ago, does that mean that you have been down here for three years?"

"Yeah, I have. I can honestly say, that you will eventually lose track of how long you have been down here for."

"So why didn't you go back up to the Ark?"

"Well. I guess that being out in the open, surrounded by trees, makes being in the confined walls of the Ark seem like a prison."

"Yeah, it is better being free to do whatever we please than having to be confined in the Ark."

I hear Tyler hum in responce.

"So what was your first year on the ground like?"

"Well, we went straight to the Lion Clan, knowing that we could still stick together as a group, but also be apart of a Clan and not have all the reponsibilities of being in a Clan. The Wolves and Snakes have always been at each other's throats, and by the middle of my first year, the Lion's had been dragged into what they started to call a war.

"It's funny how war almost killed off all of humanity, yet here we are, back on Earth and we already have our first war." Tyler chuckles.

"Yeah, it is weird. I guess war is inevitable for us humans. It's in our blood."

There is some silence before Jess starts speaking again.

"When do you think everyone else from the Ark will come down? Like not another group, but everyone?"