Rendezvous

Check out the song "Vacancy" by Kylee. After starting this story I happened to come across the song and it describes exactly how Marshall feels in this story. I found that very ironic.

And so without further ado...

Chase may not have had on his spy gear but he was still as stealthy as ever. He secretly followed the dalmatian through the town, curious to find out who he had been meeting with over the past week. To him, Marshall had always seemed to be on cloud nine after meeting this mystery pup. Always daydreaming during meals, staying out longer during his daily walks, and coming back with a big goofy smile on his face. If Chase didn't know any better he would say Marshall was in love. He honestly didn't know why he cared so much about who Marshall was meeting and what he was doing. Especially after shooting him down a month ago.

Marshall had finally worked up the nerve to confess his feelings to the shepard. He poured his heart out, only to be rejected in a harsh manner. Naturally there was a long period of hurt and sadness for the dally afterwards. He and Chase were no longer as close as they used to be and that fact was noticeable to everyone. The others had no idea what had transpired to cause a rift between the two, but figured it was best not to mettle. Chase and Skye had started dating sometime after Marshall's rejection. The light in the dally's eyes had completely disappeared. He rarely said a word to anyone and spent most of his time in his pup-house or taking walks alone. Even during missions he had stopped saying his catchphrases and seldom spoke while performing his tasks; only giving a small nod here and there to signify he understood. On missions where he had to pair up with Chase, he wouldn't say a word to him. Ryder, Zuma, Rocky, Skye, and Rubble wondered about the drastic change in Marshall's behavior. They tried to pry answers from the fire-pup, but every time they questioned him; the conversation always ended with him telling them that he didn't want to talk about it and that would be the end of it. In fact, the only phrases the others would ever hear Marshall say is: I'm just not hungry, I'm just tired, I'm just going for a walk, and I don't wanna talk about it...

But all that had changed now. It seemed as if Marshall was back to his old self again. Even his clumsiness had returned. Although Ryder and the others were happy about this; Chase just couldn't help feeling a certain way about it. Who on earth could be making Marshall this happy.

Chase pressed his back against a brick wall trying to remain out of sight. He wouldn't dare label himself as jealous. He kept using curiosity as an excuse. Still, deep in the back of his mind he found himself questioning why he was doing this. Chase hid behind the corner of a building as he watched Marshall cross the street while singing. Looking in the direction of where Marshall was headed, he was able to see the dally was heading to a fast-food restaurant. Marshall approached the restaurant and pushed his way through the entrance doors walking his way to the patio dining area.

Since Marshall was going to the patio, there was no reason for Chase to go through the inside of the restaurant. He could simply watch him from behind the shrubbery. Chase quickly crossed the street following after Marshall. He walked to the side of the restaurant and crawled on his belly under a row of neatly trimmed bushes just below a slightly raised patio. He stuck his head up just enough to see through the patio guard rails. He watched as Marshall walked up to a table for two.

Marshall stopped in front of the table for two and looked up to see an opened menu standing up atop the table.

"Hi Joey!" Marshall said as he smiled, wagging his tail happily.

A pair of white paws closed the menu and set it down on the table flat. Behind it was a Dalmatian pup with amber eyes. He had a tuft of fur on top of his head that combed forward in a messy yet stylish way. Around his neck was a small black speaker box attached to a red collar with a flat silver shield shaped tag which had a red cross imprinted into it. His ears, while being raised, slightly curved down at the tip. The fur covering the left ear was completely black, while the opposite ear was white with a few small black spots.