Adversity

Marshall and Joey gazed at the stars as they laid underneath the night sky. The two laid in a vertical position opposite one another at their special spot near the lake. It had only been three days since the two first met, and they already seemed to be pretty good friends.

"Ooo! That one looks like a big bone!" Marshall shouted as he pointed toward a constellation of stars.

"Yeah it really does." Joey responded, with a small laugh. His eyes continued to scan the sky. "Oh, there! That one looks like a banana!" Joey shouted, pointing to the sky. Marshall twisted and turned his head as he tried to find the shape.

"Where? I don't see it" He said.

"There!" Joey said, pointing once again. Marshall twisted his head once more, even squinting his eyes.

"I still don't see it." He said. Joey moved over to Marshall and playfully grabbed him by the head and forced him to look in the direction that he intended. "Oh I see it now!" Marshall responded. Joey shook his head and gave a light laugh. The two, now side by side continued their stargazing. Marshall looked over to Joey. "Hey Joey..."

"Hmm?" Joey said looking back at him.

"Thanks for coming out with me tonight. I'm really glad I met you."

Joey couldn't help but give a slight blush at Marshall's words. "If I had to be honest, hanging out with you has been the best part about this town so far." Joey replied with a big smile, as he rubbed the back of his head in an embarrassed fashion. "You're the only friend i've made here so far and... you're already special to me." Joey finished, his blush growing even redder. Joey's words caused Marshall's eyes to light up. The two turned their attention back to stargazing. Marshall slowly reached out a paw to grab Joey's, but before his paw could make contact Joey moved his away. For a moment Marshall felt a wave of disappointment run over him, but that disappointment quickly changed to delight once Joey reached his own paw out and held Marshall's. Marshall sighed with relief.

"You're special to me too." he whispered inaudibly.

--------------------

Skye arrived back at the lookout, landing her copter back in its assigned space. As she stepped off she was greeted by Everest, who had heard the sound of her copter landing.

"Skye, you're back!" Everest said. She looked at Skye's expression as she stepped out of her vehicle, realizing that something was amiss. "How did the picnic go?" she asked curiously. Skye simply let out a small huff in response before trying to put on the best saccharine smile she could manage.

"Oh, you know... It was great." She lied. Everest was a bit puzzled. She had expected Skye to be more cheerful. After all, this was something that Skye had been planning for some time now. There wasn't a day that she didn't bring it up and now to see her return from the outing like this; something was definitely up.

"So... What did you two do- err... If you don't mind my asking." Everest pried. Skye tried her best to keep up her smile, but it was no use. She dropped her facade and the hurt and pain could be seen all over her face. "Skye?" Everest said worriedly.

"We broke up." She confessed.

"What?!" Everest exclaimed, her mouth hanging agape. "But you- and he- Why?!" She stammered.

"We just... kinda rushed into this." Skye explained as she lowered her head to the concrete. "We didn't give it any thought or anything. We both felt like it was best..."

Everest blinked twice in confusion, but nodded her head as if she understood. "I see..." She answered. Silence fell between the two, but it was momentarily broken by a third voice.