Dissonance

Chase hid behind one of the trees that surrounded the lake area, quietly watching the two dalmatians. His ears were perked and he could hear every word being said between the two very clearly. He watched as Marshall pulled out a pup-tag designed white with a red cross.

That's the same pup-tag Ryder gave to him earlier. The shepherd thought to himself.

"You told me about how your old speaker always had static... so I had this made for you. It's like my pup-tag, except it has the same frequency as your old speaker. Now you'll be able to hear your emergency calls more clearly and... you can also contact me."

Chase looked closely at Marshall's face and could see that he was blushing.

"Marshall... You really didn't have to do all that." He heard Joey say. He watched as Marshall's smile faded into a frown.

"You don't like it, do you..."

"No! I love it! It's just, you really didn't have to go through all that trouble."

"It wasn't any trouble... I really wanted to do it for you, though Ryder did all the work after all."

Chase watched as Joey took the pup-tag from Marshall's paw and quickly hugged him.

"Thanks Marshall, it's the best gift I've ever gotten. You're the best. No, you're even better than the best. I love hanging with you."

Marshall returned Joey's hug.

"I'd do anything for you..." Marshall said. Upon hearing this, Chase clenched his teeth.

As the embrace was coming to an end, Marshall and Joey looked into each other's eyes and blushed.

Marshall... Why are you looking at him like that? Why are you looking at him with those eyes?! Not too long after, Chase watched as the two's muzzles slowly moved closer to one another. Why... Why is this happening?! Before Chase even realized it, he had moved from behind the cover of the tree. He stood out in the distance growling.

As Joey's lips were about to connect with Marshall's, his ears twitched to the sound of growling and he turned his head to the sight of the angry german shepherd. Marshall, wondering why Joey had stopped his advance, looked into the same direction.

"Chase?!"

"So this is what you had to leave for? This is why you couldn't continue hanging out with me?!" Chase bellowed as he walked up to the two.

Marshall was dumbfounded. "Chase, how? Why? Where? What are you doing here? How did you even-"

"Answer me! You blew me off just to come here and lock lips with this guy?"

"Why do you even care? What I do on my personal time is MY business. Did you FOLLOW me here?"

Even though he was filled with anger; at this statement, Chase's cheeks began to turn pink. He couldn't believe he blew his cover without thinking like that.

"Uh... Marsh, who is this?" asked Joey, with a look of confusion of his own.

"This is Chase. He's one of my teammates in the PAW Patrol." Marshall said with frustration clear in his voice.