Reveries (Part 2)

Chase watched as Marshall sat in front of the lake sniffling and wiping his tears.

Marshall... Is he crying because of me? Chase thought to himself. All those things I said to him. He stepped forward walking closer to the dalmatian. "Marshall?" Chase called to him. Marshall didn't respond. "Marshall... I know you don't want to speak to me right now, but-"

"Stupid Chase." Spat Marshall. Chase was taken aback. "You don't even care about how I feel. You're happy starting your relationship with Skye today... leaving me here miserable."

Chase raised his brow, he was quite confused at this statement seeing as he and Skye have been dating for a while now. "Marshall what are you t-"

"I never should've told you how I felt. 'Take a chance,' I said. 'Tell him how you feel,' I said. Why was I so stupid?" Marshall ranted through tears. Chase was silent now, just listening until he brought himself forward to speak.

"Marshall, I didn't know that you were still thinking about this." Chase said. Marshall didn't respond. "Look, I'm sorry for what I said yesterday." Chase lowered his head. "My words didn't really come out like I wanted them t-"

Marshall started walking towards the waters of the lake. He stopped directly in front, placing one paw into the water. He stared at his reflection as the small ripples coming from his paw moved through his image. He started to walk forward again, seeping deeper into the waters of the lake.

"Marshall... What are you doing?" Chase asked in a worriedly curious tone. Marshall continued to walk further. "Marshall stop!" Marshall went from walking to a full on run. He dived under the surface of the lake. "Marshall!" Chase panicked and ran into the lake, his paws and legs splashing up water as he moved through. He took a deep breath before diving under the surface. He saw Marshall unconscious and sinking. The lake seemed to be as deep as an ocean, bottomless even. Chase tried his best to swim toward the passed out pooch, but stopped in shock when a water-like tentacle wrapped itself around Marshall and pulled him down deeper. Chase didn't even notice as another tentacle crept up on him. It grabbed Chase's leg and began to drag him down as well. Chase struggled for air as he was pulled in deeper. He was starting to lose sight of Marshall and soon ran out of air as he was pulled deeper and deeper into darkness.
_________________________________________________________

Chase woke up in bed, panting and gasping for air. It was just a dream... He thought to himself. He breathed a sigh of relief. After calming himself and focusing his mind, he realized that he was laying in a bed that wasn't his own.

"Morning cutie. I hope you were dreaming about me." Said a voice in a sultry tone.

Chase quickly turned his head to face the voice right next to him. "AHHH!" He yelled in surprise before almost falling out of the bed. A Dalmatian laid right beside him smiling at him lovingly. "Marshall?!"

Marshall giggled, throwing his arms around Chase. "Why do you sound so surprised silly?" Marshall said, nuzzling his nose into the shepherd's fur.

"Marshall... why are you in the same bed as me?" Chase asked.

Marshall laughed. "Chase, we've been sleeping together ever since we became mates.

Chase's eyes shot open. "MATES?!" He exclaimed as his mouth dropped. "Wh- That's not-when-how?"

Marshall cocked his head and gave Chase a confused look, while still smiling. "Chase you're acting pretty strange." He told the shepherd.

"I'm in a relationship with Skye... She's my mate."

"Chase, are you ok? Did you hit your head?" Marshall asked, now looking worried. "Do you have a fever?" He placed his paw on Chase's head. "You feel a little warm."

"Marshall i'm not s-"

"I'll go get my thermometer." Marshall said jumping off of the bed. Chase watched him as he ran out the bedroom door.

Chase sighed. "Where are we? This looks nothing like the lookout." Chase stared at the walls of the unfamiliar room, noticing many photos of him and Marshall hanging up. There were photos of the two playing, laughing, hugging, even kissing.

Marshall soon entered back into the room carrying his thermometer. "Ok, say ahh."

"Marshall I'm not-" Chase was cut off as Marshall shoved the thermometer into his mouth. Chase had to admit, it was nice seeing Marshall so worried about him. It had been quite a long time since he last saw Marshall show that type of behavior or concern toward him.

"Hmm... 101 degrees Fahrenheit. That's normal." Said Marshall. "Maybe I should try sticking it in your-"

"Marshall, I'm not sick!" Chase exclaimed, fearing the imminent penetration of his rear.

"Well... Why are you acting so strange?" Inquired the dalmatian.

"I'm not acting strange. Everything happening is just strange." Chase huffed. "Tell me, how exactly did we become mates?"

Marshall's ears dropped. "You really don't remember..." He said, lowering his head. "I had finally worked up the courage to tell you how I felt one day. After I told you, you confessed to me that you had always felt the same way. After that, we both shared a kiss and... we decided to become mates. I could never forget that moment..."

Chase mentally scratched his head. Marshall's story was definitely much different than how he actually remembered things. A thought then came to Chase's mind. "Wait, what happened to Joey?" Chase asked him.

"Joey?" Marshall looked very confused now. "You mean the turtle?" He replied.

Ok, now this is just getting weirder. Chase thought. "Marshall, we're not mates. I don't remember anything you remember. I don't even know where we are. I feel like I'm going crazy."

"But is this really so bad?" Marshall asked him. "We're happy together... right?"

"I... I don't know. I don't even understand what's going on, Marshall." Chase answered.

"But you know that I love you." Said Marshall. "Chase... do you love me?"

Chase paused at this question for a moment. "Not... not in the way you want me to. I'm sorry, but this is all so confusing." Chase shut his eyes tightly and rubbed his temples. When he opened his eyes again, Marshall was gone. "Marshall?" Chase called but there was no response. Chase hopped out of the bed and searched all around the room, even under the bed and found no sign of the dalmatian. "Did he leave the room?" Chase walked up to the room door and opened it. The moment the door opened, water rushed into the room from the other side, sweeping Chase away in its powerful force. Once again Chase was completely submerged and gasping for air until he passed out.
____________________________________________________________

"Chase! Chase!" Chase felt a paw shaking him. He looked up and saw Skye's smiling face.

"Skye?"

"Chase wake up. It's time." Skye said trying to pull him out of his pup-house.

"Time? Time for what?" Chase asked. Skye looked at him with a sad smile.

"Come outside."