Exigency

Marshall walked into the playroom of the lookout to see Chase deep in thought. In fact, Chase was so deep in thought, that he didn't even notice Marshall enter the room or approach him. Marshall walked up beside him.

"Hiya Chase." Marshall waved.

"Ahh!" Chase yelled aloud, being suddenly startled out of his thoughts. He turned to face the dalmatian. "Marshall don't sneak up on me like that." He said, holding onto his chest while breathing out.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you." Marshall replied sheepishly.

"I wasn't scared, you just surprised me that's  all." Chase corrected.

"I thought you heard me come in, but you looked like you were miles away."

"I guess you could say that..." Replied Chase, who caused the dalmatian to become more curious.

"Is everything ok? What were you thinking about?" Marshall asked.

"Well It's just... I've been thinking, and I think it's time to tell Skye how I really feel about her."

After hearing this, Marshall's ears slightly drooped as he put on a fake smile. "Oh... What made you want to tell her?" He asked. 

"Well... you see, when Skye got lost in that snowstorm, it really worried me... I felt like I was going to lose her. All I could think about was going out there myself and finding her. It made me realize... that if I was ever going to tell Skye how I felt about her, I would need to work up the courage and do it soon. I can't just wait around anymore. I have to be the one who steps forward and says something; otherwise, she'll never know how I feel."

"That's true..." Replied Marshall, moving his paws along the floor in a circular motion. "But what if... you tell her and she doesn't feel the same way?"

"I'll never know unless I just go for it." Chase said looking away.

With those last words from Chase, Marshall then began to go into deep thought himself.

(If I'm ever going to tell him... I need to work up the courage and do it soon... I can't just wait around anymore... I have to be the one who steps forward and says something... Otherwise, he'll never know how I feel.) Marshall held his breath with anxiety.

"Well, it's now or never." Chase said, turning his back to walk away.

(It's now or never!) Marshall screamed at himself.

Chase started to walk away.

"Chase wait!" Marshall unintentionally yelled, causing Chase to turn around in surprise.

"What?! What's wrong?!" Chase asked, looking a little worried.

"Th-There's something I need to tell you..." Marshall said, looking away. He was nervously rubbing his shoulder.

Chase walked back to the spot where he once was in front of the dalmatian. "What is it?" He asked.

Marshall couldn't look him in the eye, but he continued to speak regardless. "Chase... I have to tell you, there's someone that I really like too."