Divulgence

Skye sat across from Chase, atop a checkered pink and white picnic sheet as she set up paper plates and plastic utensils around them. The two pups were finally having their afore planned picnic on the cliff of Big View Trail's mountain top. Although the skies were gray and the weather was cloudy, Skye thought that there couldn't have been a more perfect time.

"Ok…" Skye said, as she rummaged in the picnic basket. "I have roast beef, ham, bologna, turkey, and… liver." She said, pulling out the last batch of sandwiches. She spreaded them out on thin paper plates that she had packed with the sandwiches. "So what kind do you want?" She asked him. Chase had been staring into the distance the entire time. "Hello? Earth to Chase." She said, waving her paw in his view.

Chase shook his head, snapping out of what seemed to be a trance. "Huh? O-Oh… I'll take a roast beef." He finally answered.

"Great choice." Skye said, as she handed him the roast beef sandwich smiling.

Chase stared at her as his own thoughts continued to badger him. How can I tell her. It would break her heart. Chase accepted the sandwich from her, holding it within both of his paws. She has to know…

Skye stared at Chase, waiting for him to take a bite of the sandwich she had made. "Are you just going to stare at it all day?" She laughed.

"O-Oh." Chase finally took a bite of the sandwich. The mix of mayonnaise and barbecue sauce really complimented the roast beef slices. The taste was the perfect combination of sweet and salty. The sandwich was overall delicious.

"So whaddaya think?" Skye asked, noticing the look of complete satisfaction on Chase's face.

"It's really… good." The shepherd said, taking another bite.

Skye smiled. "I'm glad you like it." She said wagging her tail. "These sandwiches were made with my love." She motioned her paw to the sandwiches. Her comment caught Chase by surprise causing him to nearly choke on his sandwich. Skye quickly ran to his side and began patting his back. "Chase, are you ok?!"

"Yeah… *cough*." Chase answered, finally regaining himself. "I guess I *cough*... was just eating too fast."

Skye breathed a sigh of relief. "Well slow down. There's plenty more where that came from. Here, let me get you some water." She reached into the picnic basket and handed Chase an ice cold bottled water. Chase took three huge gulps and downed half of the bottle.

"Thanks Skye, I needed that."

After the two finished eating, Skye couldn't help but feel that there was something strange with how quiet Chase was being. She had spent a lot of time planning this day for Chase, but it seemed that the shepherd really wasn't that into it. Sighing, she walked over to the edge of the cliff. "Chase, the view from here is just breathtaking." She said, looking over the edge. "C'mon, you gotta see it." Chase made his way to the edge of the cliff and sat beside her. From this spot on the cliff, the two could see over many acres of the forest and they had a wide scale view of the entire town all the way up to the beach. "Isn't it just romantic Chase?" She asked the shepherd. Chase had to admit, the view from up there was really amazing. It even helped to calm his mind some. He could see the citizens walking and driving around the town. He could see some of the pups playing at the lookout. He could even see Cap'n Turbot fiddling with some contraption on the Flounder. Something on the beach caught the cockapoo's eye. "Hey Chase isn't that Marshall?" Chase quickly got up and looked out into the direction that Skye was pointing her paw. It was indeed Marshall, walking on the beach with some other pup. "Ooohh Who's that other dalmatian he's with?" Skye asked aloud.

Chase knew that other pup was none other than Joey. Do those two spend ANY time apart. Chase asked in his mind. He started to growl within his thoughts, but what he didn't realize is that he was actually growling aloud.