Antipathy

It didn't take the man long to finally come to consciousness. At first he woke up delirious with no idea what was going on, but was able to calm down soon after the two explained the situation. Marshall used his X-ray scanner to survey his condition and ensure that no bones were broken or fractured. Meanwhile Joey went to work treating the man's injuries. Joey was so quick and skilled. Marshall had gotten distracted plenty of times just watching him. Joey looked so serious while he worked and was definitely good at what he did. Noticing this, Marshall couldn't help but feel a little inferior to Joey, but he shook this feeling off and tended back to his own duties continuing his X-Ray.

"No broken bones here. Just a sprained leg and fractured knee bone." He said, putting away his device. "Do you feel any pain in any other areas besides the ones I just mentioned?"

The man took a moment to answer as if he was trying to discover the answer to that question himself.

"No. I don't think so." The man replied.

"We're going to send you to the hospital so they can help you with that bone fracture." Marshall told him. The man nodded while Joey proceeded to dab antiseptic on his wounds.

"Thank you so- OW...much." The man told them as he tried to withstand the burn of antiseptic going into a few of his cuts and scrapes.

"We're just lucky that we were able to get that door open." Said Joey, without turning his attention. "It's a good thing that your car was the same '98 model that allows manual entry."

The man chuckled at Joey's comment.

"Heh, yeah... The ironic part is that I was just on my way to the dealership to get that fixed. My insurance agent is never going to believe what happened." The man said, shaking his head.

"That reminds me... What did happen? How did you crash?" Joey asked as he finished bandaging up the man's wounds.

"Well... This is gonna' sound a bit out there, but some guy in a purple suit and top hat came out of nowhere riding some kind of pet carrier and cut me off. It was so sudden that when I tried to avoid him, I lost control of the car." The man clenched his fist and began to speak angrily. "If I ever see that bastard again, I'm gonna' shove that carrier down his throat and ride him into the courthouse. There could have been women or children in the car. Selfish road hogs like that don't deserve a set of wheels."

"I'm with you on that." Joey agreed. "Hopefully that guy gets caught."

Just then a second EMT truck pulled up to the three.

"Looks like Dirk finally made it." Joey said.

A guy stepped out of the driver's side of the vehicle and approached them. He had gray eyes and looked to be in his mid teens surprisingly. His skin was a brown complexion and atop his head was jet black hair in a bushy yet tamed hairstyle. Despite his young appearance, he looked very serious and intimidating.

"What's the damage?" He asked facing Joey.

"The patient was involved in an accident. One which was caused by a reckless- er...driver. The crash gave him a fractured knee along with a sprained leg and minor cuts and scrapes." Joey motioned his paw to the patient's leg. "I recommend getting him to a hospital ASAP."

Dirk walked over to the patient and surveyed him, noticing the bandages and gauzes in various places.

"That's what I'm here for." said Dirk as he rubbed his chin. "Go get my stretcher. This one seems a little on the small side." He told Joey. Joey wasted no time running into the back of his partner's truck.