Chapter 5 - Don't Be Nervous

Dan's POV

It was Thursday now, and tomorrow I would go on a date with that very handsome punk, Phil. I couldn't stop thinking about it. Maybe my fluffiness would scare him away, so I decided that I would just play it cool the whole time.

"Dan," Emma said early in the day. "I'm going to a concert tomorrow night! I have an extra ticket. Want to come?"

"Oh, I'm sorry, Em. I cant."

"Why not? I thought you liked concerts."

"I do, I love them! It's just... I have plans tomorrow." I looked up, and not far from me, Phil sat alone, his eyes anywhere but on me. If he hadn't told me he wasn't comfortable dating a guy yet, and still asked me out, I would have been a bit upset, but since we agreed to keep it a secret, I understood why he avoided looking at me.

"Oh my God," Emma gasped. "You have a date, don't you?!"

I saw Phil's head perk up, but not too dramatically in my direction. "What? No, of course not!"

"Okay, okay, sure. But when you're finally ready to tell me about your secret boyfriend, let me know!"

"Emma, there is no secret boyfriend. I'm just busy, that's all."

She nodded suspiciously. "Mhm."

Phil's POV

He likes concerts, I guess. I made a quick mental note of that.

I felt emotionally satisfied that Dan did so well at keeping secrets. He was trustworthy. I liked that.

Much later in the day, during the school's lunch hour, Alex approached me. He had dyed his hair scarlet red last night, apparently, as it was vivid and new.

"Phil," he said, a stubborn look crossing his face that lead me to believe he wanted to argue. He sat beside me. "Let me cut to the chase. Who are you going out with?"

"Again, it isn't any of your business. Give it up."

"Can I get a hint? When are you taking her out?"

I stood up from my seat and proceeded to leave. Alex ignorantly followed.

"Hey man, if you tell me what girl you're going out with, I might actually be able to help you, you know."

"Leave me alone."

"Come one, don't be like that, dude. I'm sorry. Didn't know you were so sensitive about it."

"I'm not," I said back loudly. "Just stop it."

I looked around the lunch room. A few, insignificant people that I didn't even know noticed our little argument, but turned back around and didn't care. Dan was there. He didn't turn away. He looked at me, almost sadly. I looked down. I left the lunch room.

I sat in the hall with my back to a wall, where it was quiet, and I didn't have to worry about Alex being an ass or people staring at me. Maybe this whole thing was a bad idea.

Not long into my solitude, a soft voice appeared, asking for me. "Phil?"

I barely recognized it. I didn't say anything.

But it was Dan who appeared from behind a corner. He was wearing that flower crown again, and pastel pink today. He looked at me with a small smile. "There you are."

"What are you doing here?"

"Looking for you. You seemed a bit upset. Did Alex upset you?"

"No. Wait, how do you know Alex?"

"Never mind that." Noticing that I didn't feel like standing, he rode his back down the wall and sat by me. "Are you alright?"

Why was he here, asking me this? "I'm fine."

"You know," he said, "we've never actually gotten to speak in person."

I chuckled and sighed.

"Maybe, if we're going to go out, we could get to know each other?"

I nervously played with my lip piercing with my tongue, trying to avoid his eyes. I didn't know what to say. I didn't know how to act. Maybe I should call it off.

"Phil?"

"What?" I responded quietly.

"Do you... really want to go out with me?"

I did. I turned my head to look at him. "That's why I ask you out, you turnip."

He smiled. "Well, you seem really freaked out by me. Do I make you nervous?"

"No."

"What does make you nervous?"

I exhaled. I didn't need a therapy treatment, but I didn't want him to go away. I liked him talking to me. "I've never dated a guy before," I admitted. "That's why I don't want Alex or anyone else knowing. I'm bisexual but I don't want people knowing, alright?"

He nodded. "I've been in this situation before, believe it or not. I had a boyfriend who was set on not letting anyone know he was gay. We dated in secret, and it worked.... For a while, at least. If you're more comfortable with that, I can say you've got nothing to worry about."

I met eyes with him again. "Thanks."

"You don't have to be nervous around me, okay? There's nothing to be nervous about when dating a guy. It's the same as dating a girl."

It wasn't. Not for me. It was something totally new. I was scared to mess up. I didn't want to ruin it for myself and lose him before I had him. What a waste that would be.

The bell that ended lunch rang. "I should go," Dan said sweetly, standing up. "Don't be nervous around me, okay? You can talk to me and not have to worry."

"Okay."

"Will I see you in class?"

I know he wasn't asking to see me in class. He was asking if I was going to ditch today. I wasn't. "Yeah," I said.

"Okay, good," he smiled brightly. He had the cutest smile.