Chapter 6 - The First Date

Dan's POV

Friday night came early. I sat in the cinema by the food corner, waiting for Phil to show up. I nearly jumped when he came in through the doors. His black hair with blue in it looked a bit wet, and, when he walked close to me, smelled like soap. He had showered before coming.

He met eyes with me. "Hi," he said nervously still.

"Hey."

"So," he timidly approached, "what do you want to see?"

I hadn't even thought about what movie to watch. "I'll let you pick."

He checked the list of movies playing tonight that was posted on a wall near us. There were actions, comedies, romance, and so on. He pointed to something that looked really fluffy and sweet. "How about this one?" he suggested.

I could see he wasn't serious. There was no way he really wanted to see some cliché chick-flick. And neither did I. I pointed to a better one, one he seemed more interested in. I didn't know what it was about, but it looked like a decent mix of horror and possible romance. "Maybe this one?"

His eyes widened a bit. "You like scary movies?"

"Yeah," I said. I thought they were pretty fun, and I certainly didn't mind them.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes!"

He looked at me, then smiled. "Alright." He took out his wallet from his back jean pocket.

"Let me help," I said, pulling out my money as well.

"Oh no," he pushed it back. "I'm taking you out. I'm paying."

I found myself giggling. "Alright."

Phil and I approached the desk to buy our tickets. Phil asked for two for the one we picked. The clerk eyed us, darting between our completely separate faces, wondering how this mess happened. "This movie doesn't start for a half an hour," he said. "You're going to have to wait."

"A half an hour?!" I pouted. We stepped back. "What will we do until then?"

Phil looked to the side, biting his lip ring."There's an arcade here," he said. "Do you want to go?"

I looked in his direction and surely, there was a side room with blue carpets and large video gaming machines. I shrugged and nodded, and we walked over together, thought it was a bit awkward.

"So, do you want to do something?" I asked. "Or do you not like to play games? That's okay too."

"Are you kidding? Of course I like games. What do you want to play?"

I looked around at the small arcade area, which wasn't fancy or special at all – there were so few machines that worked that I was wondering if they were just there for decor. What caught my eye was against a far wall, where there was an air hockey table, at least. I pointed to it. "How about that?"

He smiled. "You're on."

It lightened my heart to see him loosening up. For ten minutes, we played the game, and after a tie game for most of the time, I finally made the last goal and took victory. A slightly angry smile poked at his cheeks, though he was trying to hide it.

"I hate you," he toyed, giggling like a child. I laughed. He threw his paddle that he used to play the game down like a toddler on the table. It was then that I learned he was a bad sport at losing games. It was adorable.

"Want to play again?" I offered.

He laughed, and I saw him bite his lip. "Sure. I'm going to win this time!"