Chapter 9 - Just Hold Me

Phil's POV

I almost didn't go to school the next morning, worried people would ask me why I looked so happy all of a sudden. I didn't normally feel this way. I wanted to hug people and tell them the world was a lovely place. I didn't know what it was about Dan, only that I felt like my life hadn't been as good without him.

I caught Alex showing off a new tattoo to some of our old side friends. I figured he would have showed me first and texted me about it. He always had. As kids, we planned on getting a manly tattoo together. We figured that's something friends did. I guess our friendship really was over. I almost let it get to me, but I remembered I had Dan. Nothing else mattered more right now to me.

I passed Dan in the hall. He smiled and subtly waved at me. I gave a similar grin and head nod.

~~~

At the end of the day, I met Dan at his locker.

"Are you coming tonight?" I lowly asked.

"Of course I am, you spork."

I knew he was. I just wanted the safety of confirmation. "You look nice but I should go so this didn't happen bye," I said too quickly, walking away, but not breaking contact with his eyes until I couldn't turn my head anymore. He knew what I meant. He was grinning.

I had actually made my room look decent for him. I put the clothes that were carelessly on my floor into drawers and picked up any trash in the corners. What should we do? I went down to the lounge, where I had a stack of old movies from years ago piled up neatly. I pulled a few out that he might like and carried them to my room, where I had a TV with a DVD player.

I had never prepared for someone coming to my place like this. Then again, I never had someone ask me if I was okay, or talk to me about actual problems, or make me feel like I mattered and wasn't just existing. I felt happy. A different kind of happy. One you can't explain with words.

Dan's POV

I showed up at Phil's early in the evening at where he told me his place was. I knocked on the door, and he answered with a huge smile.

"I'm glad you're here," he said.

"I'm glad to be here."

He showed me to his room. He had cleaned it recently, I could tell. Posters of bands lined the walls. There was a TV with movies around it. His bed sheets had a surprising amount of colour from what I'd expected. On a nightstand, he had his phone charging, a water bottle and an eyeliner pencil.

I picked up the pencil. "Oh? Do you use eyeliner?"

"Sometimes," he said. "Not much."

"That's awesome. Nice room."

"Thank you."

"So what should we do?"

"I got out a bunch of movies, if you want. They're a little older but I thought you might like them."

"That's so sweet," I said. Together, we rummaged through the stack of films. When we finally decided on one, Phil went downstairs to make popcorn. I waited in his room, but quickly became bored without him there. I crept downstairs to see him eying his microwave whilst the popcorn was being made. He looked excited, yet awkward. He was fixing his hair in the reflection of the glass, but already looked fine. I held my head up with my hands and admired him. I couldn't help smiling by watching him. I quietly walked up to him.

He looked over, both a bit surprised and embarrassed to be caught. "I thought you were in my room," he said.

"I was but I got bored without you."